Click here if you are having website access problems ×

So...it was the fuel pump, but...

JP

Wish mine had gone smoothly!

Tank out as leaking at lowest drivers side corner (ali deteriorating and pitting, patch welded), new-to-me pump replacing standard pump as suspecting the pump may have been the source of my K series 1.8 splutter and poor starting, didn't fit into the cradle so bodged it to fit, new fuel seal difficult to refit due to philips head bolts worn heads. 

Ran for 3 days before breaking down. 
So I need to take tank out and check fuel pump. 
I've read folk suggest upgrading the bolts to hex-head with integral washers. Does anyone know the specification of them? 
cheers. 

• 3 weeks later...

JP - This is the grommet I believe, doesn't say dimensions unfortunately - https://caterhamparts.co.uk/fittings/5459-grommet-fuel-hose-through-boot-support-bar.html

How much R14 hose did you need in the end? I'm thinking of replacing my hoses with ethanol resistant ones as I've currently got the whole car stripped and fuel tank out already. Also did redline provide E10 resistant bits for fuel filler neck etc?

#27 - thank you that - I'll order a few as I'm bound to trash them.

So, I ordered the following from Redline:

• Fuel tank
  • Hose from tank/pump to filter - new made up hose from redline. 
  • New filter
  • New "J" pipe from hose to filter and new adaptors for inlet and outlet of filter
  • New banjo bolt
  • New sender, screws and washers.
  • New fuel pump.
  • New tank to filler neck hose, but this was longer than the original and so for now I've just refitted the old filler neck hose.

As for fuel hose I ordered 5/16 R9 hose from VWP for the low pressure return hose and vent.  This is the same spec as was already on the car.

Also ordered some heater hose for the thinner of the 2 fat pipes from tank to filler.

Cobbled it all together and it fired up immediately!

I've also discovered  that across most of the country Esso 99 is actually E0, not E5, so I'll be using that where I can from now on...reading my owners manual it specifies that the K-series supersport should be 98RON only.  I've only had the manual for 20 years and only just noticed that!