Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drive shaft removal - struggling

L66TEY

Progress made, with the passenger side driveshaft now removed (with ease). 

On the basis of the Quaife ATB Diff being "fit and forget" I'm inclined not to remove it - adopting a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. 

853AB834-64A1-4147-9E7D-C3E28D14DC42.thumb.jpeg.5d74a0117b03a3a403429834039449ca.jpegChris 

Driver side Driveshaft finally removed *smile*

However, it's become clear why it was a struggle to remove. 

Does this mean a new Driveshaft and/or Diff Rebuild??
I hope I'm not kidding myself but I'd like to think it's simply been caused by some crud getting stuck between the driveshaft and Diff Housing. 

As always, all feedback/input appreciated??

A604206F-1C32-4D6C-A841-90478D9D1AF8.thumb.jpeg.39ce95749e952f608d22d9152dd9ddfb.jpeg 3216ED40-374E-4FFA-A039-27664F3BA7CC.thumb.jpeg.f98ec28479a20497c82a8f2db09bb416.jpeg

Thank you David,

Whilst not great news, appreciate your help on this. 

Just spoke to Quaife and understandably their Lifetime Warranty doesn't cover the bushes in the Ford Housing. 

Sounds like I'll need to remove the Diff after all and get this sorted.

Chris 

PS Hand on heart, Im not guilty of the suggested "donut" cause :O

I would say the bush needs renewing.  It looks like either lack of lubrication or some debris has found its way into the bush.  Also the surface where the seal runs looks damaged (or is this just how it looks on the photo), that needs to be sound or the seal will not last.  You may be lucky that the shaft cleans up but it needs to be as good as the other one, to me it looks quite scored 

It's good to see they are still quite deep, so probably not too much wear. The finish is poor but would probably recover if the drive shaft can be cleaned up. I would try some Autosol metal polish on the drive shaft and, if it cleans up to the original machine finish, I would put it back together and forget about it.

Re above - it is part of the case of the ATB unit so cannot be replaced. You would need to replace the complete unit - so you have nothing to lose by putting it back together. It is not the bearing so does not support the shaft - it just allows the differential action  

I think the fretting on the drive shaft might need a bit more than autosol. If it were mine I'd use a strip of very fine emery cloth with oil.

I'd also change the diff oil - I've done this on my diff (same set up) with a machinemart oil syringe and the boot floot out. The plastic tube went in the filler hole, hit the ATB and went down to the bottom of the diff. Or you could unbolt it and upend it! I use OEM ford oil in mine (as used in the Ranger)

Ian

Thank you David and Ian,

Having removed the metal filings from the scored area with a magnet, I'm definitely going to change the Diff Oil - as expect there could be more inside. 

Now need to decide on syringe or Diff removal approach.....

Chris 

I'd be inclined to take it out and upend it. You've done most of the hard work of removal - just the 4 lots of spacer washers to catch or find when they ping across the garage floor :-)

Being a bit OCD, I'd probably buy some new and cheap gear oil and part fill it on the bench, use a driveshaft to turn the internals to try and flush out any more bits. Couple of 1/2 litre fills and empty shouldn't do any harm. Looking on internet basic gear oil is about 7 quid a litre.

Ian

• 4 months later...

Thought I might as well reignite this thread to provide an update. 

After some deliberating In the end I decided to take the Diff out, and it is presently with R&R. 

But it unfortunately appears that Quaife don't presently have stock of the required part. 

Additionally, having read the numerous posts on "LSD" and considering my liking of track days - Im leaning towards swapping the ATB out for a TracSport (though need to find some funds). 

If I do, I'll be selling a rebuilt ATB Diff, hence please let me know if this is of interest?

• Area Representative

#39 - To save costs just have the SP Components Tracsport 'Ultra' Sierra 7" limited slip unit fitted ? 

Steve will overhaul the diff casing & set it up perfectly.

If there is a shortage of parts for the Quaife get it up to Redditch before there are not !!

Limited Slip Differentials | Astwood Bank | Tracsport     page 2

Hi Geoff,

Your timing is impeccable, I've literally just put the phone down from checking stock with Steve :D 

In regards to Quaife - this may deserve a fresh thread - but as it stands I've been advised that Quaife are no longer willing to supply single parts to repair their own products - they are only interested in selling complete Diffs! 

Next phone call to be made is to Quaife........

So did I, but their get out of jail card is that the warranty only applies to the first owner *headache*

Am now of the mindset to get it fixed and sell it, as ATBs are great for road use - whereas I need a more track focused Diff. 

So if anyone knows of someone looking to buy a Quaife ATB Diff for a Ford Housing - please send them my way. 

With thanks

Chris 

I remember that being a pain of a job, one of those jobs that just added unnecessary randomness as to how hard it would be.  But then my dad purchased the official special tool (it might have been a copy), it provided a leaver with a massive area to hit with a hammer, that pivoted on a drive shaft seal casing bolt.  It was a 5 second job each side after that. Are the good old days :)