Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIXED-X/Flow Exhaust Manifold Leak (2&3)

A7 OOH

1994 1600 X/Flow

I need to replace the manifold gaskets as 2&3 cylinder are blowing I will also replace 1&2 at the same time.

Checked out Caterham site and they offer an open type gasket which combines 2&3 cylinders into a single opening.

Burton's offer is a gasket which gives a separate port for each cylinder, in either 33 or 35 mm.

I little confused which is the best option.

Also do I need to use a jointing compound if so which is the best type. 

Go for 2mm thick copper - usually 33 or 34mm. Just clear the port size and leave as much meat between 2 & 3 as possible. Redline may well do them but a quick search will find them. I needed to face the flange on the primaries off as it was a fair bit out from the factory 

When you have the headers off check that the mating surface , particularly 2 and 3 are flat. The distance between the studs can make it a bit more flexible and if you overtighten in an effort to get a seal you can bend the flange face and create a leak. Copper is the way to go, preferably dry but if necessary with a smear of high temp rtv (5990?)- Cometic gaskets are great for anything except exhausts unless both surfaces are absolutely flat.