Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking Diff

CPGCharlie

A few MOT's through and the "mist" on the diff is now apparently a leak.... The DIff is Type 9,5 speed heavy duty long 1st -  Diff 3.92:1 fitted with ZF plate type LSD. (notes from the previous owner)

Apparently, there are two types of bearing, one crushes (didn't understand that) and i need to change the flange/seal to stop the leak. 

can any advise who to speak to to get this fixed/ assessed 

Hi, the bearing in the nose of the differential has some form of crush washer, I think? You can change the output shaft seals quite easily however the propshaft side seal is a different matter as you need all sorts of tools to pre load the bearing and remove the propshaft flange. 

Hello,

The oil leaking generally come from the radial oil seal.

After having removed the drive flange you can extract the seal (little bit dificult to remove)

I did fix the same situation in march:

20210225_174818.thumb.jpg.a278091051a1219b53347b6a8f870216.jpg

Here is the assembly of the diff:

eclatdiff.thumb.jpg.3f168ff8b20c582704b6970b2753ac83.jpg

29: locking nut

28: drive flange

27: oil seal.

In the sierra diff (dedion) there is a nut that when tightened squashes the crush washer and sets the pinion bearing pre load. There is a second nut that retains the drive flange. It is only the drive flange that needs removing to change the seal so all OK. They are a bit difficult to remove - I think I used a self tapping screw and a pry bar!

The Ital diff (live axle) only uses one nut to set the crush washer and hold the drive flange on, so changing the oil seal needs the diff rebuilding. Once the nut is undone the optimum pinion bearing preload is lost.

Ian