Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a new Windscreen Glass

O.G.

Looking for advice from anybody that may have fitted a new glass into the frame. It's heated so the stakes are high. i.e. £350.

I've had a few goes with and without lube. Putting the seal in the frame first, no luck then glass in the seal first, no luck.

Any practical tips would be appreciated. I also need a suggestion  to glue back together the seal corner joint.

O.G.

I've done this a couple of times and don't remember it being a struggle.  Slightly different though as I was fitting plain glass that had cost me about £20. 

I fitted the rubber to the glass first then the pair into the frame, used washing up liquid as lube.  Be careful to keep the wooden packers evenly spaced around the glass.  If you don't the stanchion/frame screws may contact the glass and crack it.  I measured the depth prior to fitting the screws as I didn't want to risk it.

Thanks everyone, as ever you have the answers. 
Job done but certainly not the easiest especially as you have to impart no little force on the glass edge. Benton's U Tube link is very useful but made it look easier than I found it and doesn't cover the complication of heater wiring. 

What I learnt: 

1, Ensure you have the glass the right way round in the frame if the glass is heated - blue wire to the left. Also on my glass you can read the etching from the outside.

2, Fit the seal to the glass first!

3, Only lube the seal to the frame, don't allow lube to get between the glass and seal. I used  Silicone Lube. Next time I will spay it into a pot and paint it on. Goes everywhere with a Aerosol.

4, Take care to get the heater wires into the grooves in the corner blocks.

Not my favourite job!

O.G.