Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rattling noise from the rear - Only in second gear

Phillip Meyer

This just started while driving home from Gatwick after having another problem fixed. Sitting in traffic so moving very slowly and all of a sudden whenever I shift into second gear I get a loud rattling as if something is loose and repeatedly knocking from the back of the car, possibly the diff but when moving very slowly it almost seems to move forward. It sounds like an old-fashioned football rattle, very loud.

Supposed to have a track day Monday, not looking promising.

EDIT: Maybe there is a hint of this in other gears but not totally sure.

The problem I had fixed was the lambda sensor.

I don't think it can be the exhaust or handbrake cable as it only really happens in second. It is very noisy, almost like there something sticking out and catching something else as the engine/gearbox/diff rotates.

It's a long shot but maybe when dealing with the lambda they've 'repositioned' 'the exhaust which is now knocking on something and the higher torque in the lower gears is exciting it. 

As I say, a long shot but it seems a distinct possibility, in the circumstances, that it's connected with whatever has been done today. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

They don't know if I have one or not so I'm guessing I don't. Waiting for them to tell me for sure at which point I will push for one to be fitted.

Incidentally , after one track day and a couple of weeks sine the lambda sensor was replaced the engine already seems to hunt a little at idle.