Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure gauge broken, sutable replacements?

MBB

On my way to Poole Quay I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was falling into the dash - on removal the casing is split so a new gauge is required.

Caterham part is £102 and out of stock, anyone know if there is a drop in replacement from elsewhere?

John V

That's exactly how its split, I wasn't sure how long a superglue repair would last, but may do it as a temporar measure.

Jonathan

I use the Caterham exclusively on the road, so not interested in a mechanical gauge.

The case for going mechanical is probably greater if you have a K due to the fragility of the standard sender (they are very intolerant of engine vibration).  The Sigma/Duratec sender is much more robust.  But even then, it's reassuring to know exactly what's happening pressure-wise as the gauge is quite heavily damped.  That's why I went mechanical on my R400D.   I was concerned about consistent oil pressure with a wet sump (road use).

What model do you have?

JV

The only week point in the Sigma/Duratec oil pressure sensor is the resistor and diode in the subloom between the sensor and the chassis loom.  Always check this before you replace the sensor.  

I also find Caterham strap the gauge wiring very tightly behind the gauges, I always wondered if this was the reason for the case failure.  I can't think of any other reason it would happen. 

This a common problem with these gauges. I have repaired several with superglue, works fine - dont be in any hurry to replace with new. Suspect the problem is difference in heat expansion coefficient between case & glass bezel.

This a common problem with these gauges. I have repaired several with superglue, works fine - dont be in any hurry to replace with new. Suspect the problem is difference in heat expansion coefficient between case & glass bezel.

John's right over tightening is easy to do and a pest. I repaired mine too with a nice thick coat of good quality epoxy adhesive left to set overnight and helped with a bit of sunlight, then made sure the rubber retaining ring was fresh - essentially to give it grip in the dash, and gently screwed into place, works a treat.