Click here if you are having website access problems ×

With aeroscreen do you need half doors (for trackdays)?

7oaks

Half doors have the same popper places as for a tonneau cover.

I run brookland screens all year round and generally have half doors off during the summer or when its hot, half doors on during winter or with half tonneau (mine splits) covering the passenger side and half door drivers side if I'm on my own and I'm as snug as a bug in a rug.

Believe that last comment and you'll believe anything - I've got no heater fitted and its bleeding freezing in winter!!!

Tonneau is always in the boot, plus a golf brolley, in case it rains and I need to head for a the nearest cafe or big tree for shelter

I run brookland screens all year round and generally have half doors off during the summer or when its hot, half doors on during winter or with half tonneau (mine splits) covering the passenger side and half door drivers side if I'm on my own and I'm as snug as a bug in a rug.

Believe that last comment and you'll believe anything - I've got no heater fitted and its bleeding freezing in winter!!!

Tonneau is always in the boot, plus a golf brolly, in case it rains and I need to head for a the nearest cafe or big tree for shelter

Tonneau is always in the boot, plus a golf brolly, in case it rains and I need to head for a the nearest cafe or big tree for shelter

I'm not sure about UK trackday rules, but the tracks I have been to in Canada generally require or strongly recommend an arm restraint when there are no doors fitted to stop the arm nearest the "door" flailing outside the car in a crash. I use one that just allows my left hand (LHD) to be placed anywhere on the steering wheel without restriction, with the loop end around one of the harness straps ends near the buckle. It does mean that all point-bys are done with the gear change hand, though, with the hand above the roll bar.

I've run on track with a windscreen and also an aeroscreen with no half doors. Nothing like the latter for making you feel like you're in a single seater! 

The only downside is that I can't hear the engine above about 50ish so down changes are trickier. I'd be interested to know if anyone who uses an aeroscreen with half doors finds the wind noise is reduced and thus the engine more audible? 

That's interesting feedback. I wonder if it's my position in the airstream, without lowered floors. 

Anyway, don't be put off 7oaks. Aeroscreens are still brilliant, whatever the predominant noise in your ears! 

It is, and perhaps you've hit on the issue. To a lesser extent it's a phenomenon on the road too.Slow bends are fine but the wind past my ears at speed overwhelms the engine noise, with or without a helmet.