Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3 Diff leaking right driveshaft

Hanns Per

A few things to check, assuming the sealing surface of the driveshaft is smooth and undamaged, as Wrightpayne mentioned:

- Through the whole range of the suspension travel, do the CV joint springs exert even and continuous pressure so the shaft end in the diff is always pushed against the inner race of the diff side bearings (check for both shafts), so there is no lateral movement of the sealing surface?

- Is the seal pushed in against the face of the bearing, possibly allowing the inner seal lip to rest on the inner chamfer on the shaft sealing shoulder? - I have no problem of leaks with mine when the face of the seal is flush with the outside of the casing

-Is the seal square and true to the machined face of the casing? - using a metal block to drive the seal evenly across it's whole surface will prevent any distortion of the seal when driving into position.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked all the possibilities You brought up. Although the surface on axle looked fine treated it to become even better. The sealing sits 9mm inward from the outer edge also fine and it still leaked BUT today I  noticed that I can push the axle up and down about 1mm each side when I hold it on the rear axle joint next to the diff.In my other caterham this is not possible. Which means the stub which goes into the diff is too small and I need new S3 rear axels. Its an 2001 S3 which I bought second hand a few years ago. Are there / had there been rear axels with different specifications i.e. slightly smaller axle stubs?