Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clamshell Wings to headlamp Bracket Fixing - How is yours held on?

Tazio

Mine, as fitted by Caterham in 1985, had a thick foam strip on the bracket (draught sealer?) and a 1/4" bolt through the wing and bracket.  The bolt looked like a standard galvanized gutter bolt, including the square nut underneath.  I will be replacing that with a stainless mushroom headed Allen bolt and nylock plus possibly rubber of plastic washer

Mine, an 84 car had a bonded in fixing under the wing either side of the wingstay, and were held on by a small strap under the bracket by two screws per side, these have failed.  I had a BDR with the domehead solution, and have ordered some, though i was wondering if anyone had adopted a solution using something like Big Heads? 

The outboard end of my wing stay (1982 car) is attached through the GRP moulding with a 1/4 inch screw, and Nyloc nut, between these there is a 3/16 inch rubber packing. don't over tighten this as the wing will crack. i Also used large diameter washers under the screw head to spread the load, no problem so far. Have fun.