Click here if you are having website access problems ×

13" wheels on an SV - what width? / recommendations

AntonyH

Our SV is currently on 15" anthracites (8" wide) and 195/45 CR500s that are running out of tread.

Annoyingly, Avon don't do a 195/45 ZZS, it's 195/50 and therefore slightly taller of sidewall, and therefore doesn't fit under the wingstays that are currerntly fitted.

I don't particularly want to cut the wings off these stays, replace the stays with the current / "right" versions for 15/16" wheels and then reglue the wings, too much like hassle, so I was contemplating a switch to 13" wheels.

Looking at the Avon stats, the actual tread width of a 185/55 r13 on 6" rims isn't much smaller... am I even going to notice a difference in grip levels, given also the ZZS is supposedly grippier?

Any recommendations for 13" wheels that'll fit a 2005 (therefore, Imperial) SV?

Ideally without needing to grind bits off the DeDion tube or ears...

Thanks in advance.

...and therefore doesn't fit under the wingstays...

Is that an assumption or have you actually tried to fit a wheel with 195/50-R15 ZZS?  I ask as I moved from 15" CR500 to ZZS on my R400D.  I was expecting to have to modify the wingstays, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the ZZS did in fact fit -- just.

JV

I've previously attempted to fit two other makes of 195/50. They rub on the outer edge of wings, which are already incredibly close to the 45s. There's not a lot of space between the sidewalls and the stays either.

I changed from 15's to 13's on my SV 2006 Superlight. Front 6", rear 8", ZZS. 

No issues and I found the car much more comfortable with this setup. I would say it does handle a tad better. If you do jump to this setup I don't think you will regret it. That said, I still love the 15's so experimenting with the other tyres would defo be an option.