Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Plug leads

simonhar

Hi

1.6 k series 2002, 31 k . Recent intermittent misfire under acceleration. Took the plug leads and plugs out. Plugs look fine, but the non coil pack plugs are sooty as are the top of the plugs. Arcing? Cleaned them and put them back, lead is s tight fit. Now continuous mis fire. New leads?

Is the coil pack at the back of the engine ? Sure the leads must unplug from it. There are two types of plug thread. One is a taper fit with no washer. The other has a crush washer that flattens as you torque plug. I am not home to look up settings, but someone will be along soon search "plug and torque" on this site. Also check you don't have any leaks on exhaust manifold ... that can fool lambda sensor and make it run richer. 

Aha .... not a common coil pack, but coil over plug type ... same as my VVC. Don't think those leads are removable. Have you got the right plugs ... ie tall enough. I think the leads move in the top rubber bungs ... so make sure enough lead to press home on the plug. If the plugs have tops that unscrew, check they are tight. Most are fixed these days.

Ill show you mine if you’ll show me yours *silly*

I too have had a misfire in recent weeks, and I took apart my leads and found this:

BB3FF58D-E865-4D42-8E88-14E567C32E61.thumb.jpeg.bffd9853a75eaf482348a61dad56d173.jpeg

I had aftermarket leads, that were plastic bodied, and I assume where not sealing correctly. The OE ones on my 1995 k series are rubber bodied and seal into the spark plug bore, which is the root of the problem I think.