Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen issues

Kelly959

Heated screen on my car works almost instantly except for 3 vertical lines that take several minutes to clear. Do they 'all do that' or is it indicative of the screen not working?

Also why can't I just post a picture on here by just pressing the appropriate button on the editor?

What's happened is that 3 of the elements within the screen (or their connections) have failed.  They clear eventually as heat from the working elements is conducted through the screen and heats the area where the failed elements are.  This takes longer due to the relatively poor thermal conductivity of glass.

edit to answer the obvious follow up question... 

Unfortunately there isn't anything that you can do to repair the failed section.  It's a replacement of the entire screen that will be required if you can't live with it 'as is' *irked*

I had a new screen (due to a stone chip) a couple of years ago and it arrived with some of these failed spots from new *curse* I challenged the supplier (who got it from caterham) to be told TADTS, but if it got worse it had a lifetime warranty and they would change it again. I don't drive it in the wet enough to get really annoyed by it and while somewhat skeptical of their line it is plausible. So interested to hear what others report.