Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car security

Kelly959

Hiya I am no expert but have been involved in security for  a long time (police officer) and have owned 3 seven types and many other desirable cars.

Believe it or not they're not that popular to steal, that's why your insurance is low.

At the simpler end is FIA key (will defeat your average spoon car thief.)- My point is though that your average thief will steer clear, 7's are too obvious and they don't understand what it is....

Factory immobiliser is good but a flashing red led is a must again to put them off.

Given time and opportunity anyone can steal anything.

Think about where you store your car and how obvious it is there and for how long unattended?. A hidden switch cutting fuel pump or similar for starter motor is simple and simple = less likely to let you down mid track day or after battery off work.

Bear in mind you can get to the electrics on our cars with a wet bus ticket, refer para 5...

Upper end tracking system awesome if you don't mind the ongoing costs. Cost is another area altogether- Knew a guy once so frustrated he hired a helicopter and located his own stolen truck!

Hope the entire member ship doesn't drop on me with "well this happened to me xyz :("

• Area Representative
In 22 years of ownership, theft has always been low on my list of concerns.

I suggest you do an internal review of why cars are stolen and who steals cars. My rationale runs along these lines:-

Teenage tealeaves won't be particularly interested. No radio, tricky to get in & out of.

The professional organised, gone in 30 seconds lot know their markets want big German saloons & other obviously expensive cars where the market is known.

This doesn't eliminate the risk completely. But as above, the question to ask is "where is the market for a hot (in the sense of stolen) Seven?".

Same here. Factory immobiliser, removable steering wheel and a shower cap to close up the cockpit from weather dust and prying eyes. 

oh and ballistic orange paint subtle it is not.

I know lots of people use bike locks to lock their removable wheel to the roll cage. I prefer to have a small bag which doubles to lob in phone cables etc for longer trip...nothing tempting on display and all that. Also if the wheel is with you, short of dragging it onto a flatbed, it's not going anywhere. 

Softbits for 7s sell some proper job manbags

If you're worried, as an interim measure use a motorcycle u-shaped shackle(?) through the wheel and suspension.  Just remember to remove it before driving off. So far I have remembered. 

When I had my 1600 K series in 1997 I was working over in Braunstone near Leicester.  I parked in the main company car park but infront of one of the big concrete fence posts.  A big heavy chain through the wheel and wishbone and round the concrete pillar and high quality padlock to join the two ends.

Overkill maybe, but never stolen.

Colin

My first 7 had a start button and could be driven away by anyone with a cutoff switch. The car was regularly parked all day in Paddock at Brands Hatch where a couple of hundred people had such devices. I never worried about it being stolen.   

thanks all for not squishing my opinion like a bug :) Then on top of all of this you have the fact that since the advent of cordless angle grinders any padlock is now obsolete....- how did we manage when we actually had to plug things in to get them to work? :)