Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cracked heated windscreen

rkeywood

I'm hoping there's a cheapish way of replacing my terminally cracked screen. A quick google and forum search suggests:

- a costly, but cheaper than Caterham, trip to Sevens and Classics,

- a plain glass replacement from Caterham (?) with possible, but improbable, MOT query and a grumpy driver at times

- get a plain glass cut locally

Are there any other options?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like a possible option on a secondhand one. I'd seen the ebay one but not sure I want to take the extra risk of breaking the glass to take it out and put in my anodised frame.

Unfortunately no insurance - the car has not been used for 20+ years. The glass cracked across from an age old chip right at the edge when I lifted the frame off to give everything a good clean. 

(Edited poor writing)

I believe you can get a local glass shop to cut one from a Land Rover Series windscreen. That way you can get tint options and by careful placement you get the kite mark in the corner where it should be. The Land Rover screens are flat panels and not expensive. It's been on my list to do for a while, I checked it out a while back and all looked doable but I haven't done it yet, although I believe others have.

In one of the wheeler dealer USA episodes Mike got a Saab screen cut from a brand new chevy Impala screen where the profile / contours of the central part of the screen matched the Saab perfectly. The guy cut both sides of the laminate. Amazing to watch the him do it, very talented.

• 2 weeks later...