Click here if you are having website access problems ×

360 - 420

Hotfoot

I have been talking to Caterham about a possible upgrade from 360 to 420.

They have told me that new injectors and valve springs may or may not be required, but the price is the same either way.

That's put me off on principle as why should I possibly pay for Injectors and Springs that won't be installed. Injectors seem to be £160 each on the caterham website.

Does anyone know how I tell which Injectors and springs are in the Engine? 2015 built in that helps.

Thanks

Can’t remember the ins and outs but I expect it depends if you have a Spanish engine or a Mexican engine. There are differences in injectors with the Mexican ones and they maybe fit the same injectors to those as they do the 420 engines when converting to suit the 360. Valve springs would need changing whatever I think though

Thanks Simon.

To quote Caterham.

"The engine upgrade includes upgraded camshafts, valve springs (if required) and uprated injectors (if required), we also load a new map onto the ECU to take into account the new cams. Then we also replace the intake system with the roller barrels, this includes balancing and testing the roller barrels are operating correctly, we also map the ECU for the roller barrels too"

That's 2 maps on 1 ECU.. think I have talked myself out of it. Going to talk to other suppliers.

Marvin, yup totally worth it. Huge amounts of torque, revs to 7800 and pulls all the way. The sounds is addictive and makes me grin like a loon. Worth it?.. damn right!

Hotfoot, I kept the R spec lightweight flywheel and clutch and didn't go for the PP ultralightweight versions. This was just a budget thing really. 

Update, Caterham came back to me and we did a deal..

Ordered an upgrade with Roller barrels today.

Something has drawn me to the roller barrels against what I have read and been told.

Probably explains why there is no Swmbo to get the ok from.

Had Caterham Gatwick do my 360 to 420 last January and the car was a fantastic improvement. Then had Caterham add the roller barrels this January (I couldn't afford this part last year) and done a couple of essential journeys since. You will not be disappointed in any area of the engines performance. I just cannot wait to get it on a track 

Hotfoot

you are welcome. I went through the same thought process as you have and I am absolutely delighted with the results.  Caterham Gatwick are pretty close to me so it made sense to use them.  I had previously removed the cat with a £200 decat pipe and the sound now both induction and exhaust is awesome. *biggrin*

#17 if you look back in the threads my 420R was rear ended last summer and I had intended to do the RBTB conversion at a later date but as they had it for the chassis repairs I arranged to for Caterham to do the  RBTB and cat bypass before its accident repair return. When SWIMBO went in it for the first time after the repair she said it sounds very different and is that because of the accident repairs.

Just saying

Mrp

Hi John,

There was a guy called Ethan King on the Caterham FB parts group after a 420 inlet manifold if you wanted to split your parts for sale?
I sold my old manifold and air box on there within a couple of days.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...