Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tool kit

Billy.Whizz

If I am just out for a blat, then I am a mobile and an AA card sort of 7 owner. 

But, when I am out for the day that increase to a tool roll Velcroed to the inside of my boot that contains the following

• Torch (LED)
  • 7mm combination spanner (for Jubilee clips)
  • 8mm combination spanner
  • 10mm combination spanner
  • 13mm combination spanner
  • 15mm combination spanner
  • 17mm combination spanner
  • 3/8" Ratchet 
  • 1/4" Ratchet
  • Socket rail with 
  • 7mm 1/4" drive socket
  • 8mm 1/4" drive socket
  • 10mm 1/4" drive socket
  • 13mm 3/8" drive socket
  • 15mm 3/8" drive socket
  • 17mm 3/8" drive socket
  • 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor
  • 19mm 1/2" drive socket
  • Short 1/4" extension 
  • 6mm hex drive 3/8" drive socket
  • 8mm hex drive 3/8" drive socket
  • Medium 3/8" drive socket
  • Side cutters
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Tie wraps
  • Gloves
  • Spare fuses (selection)
  • Leatherman

That said I can just remove the wheel bolts (but I can't jack my car) with my 3/8" drive ratchet, but that's only because I have torqued the wheel bolts correctly and not had them wound up with a windy gun.  

If I had to tackle on the the many imperial bolts on my metric car, the I will use the metric spanner and replace the fixing when I return. 

This set is about self help, because I still have my AA card :-) 

I went for a few Wera kits that cover most of the above

Wera 05056490001 Tool-Check Plus Tool Set, 39 piece

Wera 6004 Joker Set 1 Self-Setting Spanner Set, 4pc, 05020110001

Spare throttle and clutch cable

along with a Gerber and a couple of extension rods   but agree the AA or equivalent card is your best friend.

M

• Area Representative

Agree with the Recovery Card (I use GEM - v good).

There is another option which I used recently...make sure you break down outside the house of a very nice chap polishing his classic car and borrow his tools to get you going again! It's certainly the light weight option although I accept there are shortcomings to it as a regular plan. My (very cold) passenger seemed happy with the solution although I've not managed to persuade her out for a drive since...

Enjoy your car when it arrives!

On my long euro trips, I'm more of the view that parts are more useful than tools (although perhaps taking availability of imperial tools for granted on the continent is risky). Garages/recovery drivers should have tools, but it will be things like cables (throttle/clutch), plugs, dizzy cap etc that you may struggle to get hold of. 

Haha! I had the same experience as Jonsymons last year. The Caterham 'failed to proceed' & came to a halt outside a house with a Porsche Cayman on the drive. The Cayman owner was absolutely thrilled to have a broken down 420R outside, asked loads of questions, leant me tools & water & made me a coffee.

The breakdown was my own fault, I'd loosened a hose clip to improve access whilst bleeding the clutch & hadn't tightened it up properly. 

Another vote for Wera tools here. I have a set of spanners & a set of sockets that fit neatly behind the driver's seat (assuming you're not TOO tall!). I also carry a can of tyre goo, a throttle cable, spare exhaust mounting bushes (I've had a couple fail), gaffer tape & cable ties (both very useful & versatile).

Welcome to the club by the way & a great choice of 7! *thumbup*

• Area Representative

#11 Nigel - I share your pain. I'd replaced a perished rubber fuel hose at the tank outlet and hadn't managed to get the connection to the pipe right so it came off - result was no fuel to the engine despite a full tank! Embarrassing.

I reckon there is a good Blatchat thread in this - "Self-inflicted break downs"...