Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA rollbar on Live-axle Seven installation help needed

patricklaw7

Hi all,

I have a live-axle Seven and I am trying to install a FIA rollbar (single cross brace) on it. However, once I mount the two rear legs on the back of the boot, the front two legs do not sit flat on the front of the suspension turrets. There is a gap of about 1/32" to 1/16". It seems like either the mounting holes in the boot are in the wrong place or rear legs are too long.

Did anyone see a similar problem before? How would you solve that?

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi Tazio and Wrightpayn, thanks in advance for your help. Here is a picture showing the gap between the rollbar's big foot and the chassis.

Here is a photo showing the gap between the rollbar's big foot and the chassis. Another photo that shows how the rear legs are mounted. I wonder if I should mount the front foot first to make sure it completely flat and then enlarge the hole in the back and use a bigger washer? 

Regards,

Patrick

IMG_7121.JPG.b9ed64fff2ccbaaee76c6558bc2f1cef.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG.49dec3059c6d99ac593365824409ded1.JPG

caterham%20live%20axle%20FIA%20roll%20bar%20damper

caterham%20live%20axle%20FIA%20roll%20bar%20damper

As Tazio says bolt the front up first and see how the back lines up. I wouldnt file or slot anything as they are not a precision fit. I've had a couple of different cages on my seven and they do need a bit of force occasionally to get the bolts in. I've heard of people using ratchet straps! 

Presumably the upper shock mounting needs to go through and be bolted up?

Wrightpayne: Yes, the shocks go through the front foot plates and bolted up. However, there is a 1/32" gap between the foot plate and the turret now.

Per suggested, I unbolted the rear and seated the front properly. The rear is off by A LOT! I reckon nothing shorts of a custom rollbar would do. I could think of two solutions: One, use some plastic tie-downs in the back (just kidding). Or shim the front with some washers.  

IMG_7125.JPG.a0f4e7ff8f2a39f6631e739b6ee61cb2.JPG

We had a similar situation with our new kit a couple of years ago, fitting an FIA bar to a Supersport.  We put the top bolts in as loose as possible and used brute force to push and pull the diagonal to get an old bolt into one of the rears first, then more brute force to get all the bolts in.  *smash*