Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1984 Live Axle - Fitting 4 point harness

Tazio

I've just bought a 1984 live axle crossflow as a recommissioning project, it currently has single lap belts, and I prefer a harness, problem is how to fit one.  On this car there is no square section chassis rail as in a de dion, that is used on current cars, just a narrow round tube to support the bench seat.. Question is can it be done?, and how?

Alan

I don't know what Jonathan has told you - it may be this:

At the time you could get a 3 sided channel with the 4 threaded inserts that were welded to the top tube.  Presumably Arch will still supply. Photo below is one of these fitted to my chassis  (taken during strip-down for restoration)

IMG_2177a.jpg.d6ff34eab99f4a8e7182697f1a762ff3.jpg

Alan, I had the same issue on my 1980 car and took it to Bruce many years ago.  He fitted a square section rail, a touch of paint and all done while-u-wait on a Saturday morning!  I spent the time waiting by looking around the workshop, admiring all the various beautiful things under construction.  *thumb_up* 

Thanks Gents for all the inputs, much appreciated . It's as I sort of expected, take it back to The Great Creator, for a little brazing.  I had thought maybe somebody had modded an FIA bar with an additional lower rail that could accommodate the harness fixings, but perhaps not.

Alan