Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare wheel

Jeff210R

I'm one of those neurotics who like to have a proper spare wheel (having had many punctures over the years!).  I've just acquired a Supersport with 13in wheels, 8in rears and 6in fronts, and a can of puncture repair gunk which I don't trust.  I wonder if anyone has an opinion on an appropriate spare arrangement?  Maybe some sort of spacesaver which I could put in a spare carrier in a cover?  Thoughts gratefully received!

Jeff

Jeff,

What age is your car? After a certain point, spare wheel hoops can be retro fitted. The lower steel hoop on the back panel may have ferrules brazed in, to pass bolts through to fit the hoop. If these are not present then its going to be difficult.

My car had a wheel hoop which I removed but left two stubs so I can re-attach if I want to.

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other/3798-spare-wheel-carrier-bolt-on-metric.html

Regards

Ian

Another vote for the repair kit here. It's what many motorcyclists use, I also carry one in my tintop which doesn't have a spare. Loads available on Amazon and Ebay. I carry CO2 cylinders on the bike, a compressor in the car.

On mine there is a Y piece that bolt to the wheel with two wheel nuts then a long threaded T bar bolts it to the back panel. The back panel has a threaded boss with two washers between the ally and cross beam inside the boot.

I bet if you post a wanted advert someone will have the wheel fixing knocking about

With different width wheels and asymetric tyres, the ideal is probably to carry at least four spares...

Or RAC...

Or have a neighbour with a key who can grab a spare and bring or post it to you.

Ideally, there'd be a nationwide system where you'd message them and a wheel and tyre would get to you within an hour or two.

Dragon's Den idea?

Andy