Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement k series dipstick

m1 se7en

I'd like to replace the yellow (all) plastic dipstick on my 1,8k.

I remember reading someone had found a suitable replacement from a Ford Fiesta.

Can anyone please tell me exactly which model this came from.

There seem to be numerous part numbers for Fiesta dipsticks!

Also I vaguely remember it needed a mod to shorten it slightly?

Don't pay too much for one on eBay you can get them for only £5 new https://www.autodoc.co.uk/topran/8210297. I've bought a few from that link, they do fit and the calibration is almost identical. The only issue with the Ford dipstick is that it's a flat ribbon, so only bends in one direction; you have to put it into the tube in the right orientation and it's still a little stiff going round the bends, but still perfectly useable.

OK so I said I would test one when I got the chance. It's really hard to capture on a phone camera but I think the Ford dipstick is actually easier to read than the Rover one. These pictures are taken with recently changed (so fairly clean) hot engine oil, engine idling:

IMG_20200822_184429.thumb.jpg.2fa134a65d994a99793cade018bc21c6.jpg IMG_20200822_184444.thumb.jpg.12b8cc93c4385fb0625b88ad6eec263b.jpg

As I say, easier to see with the eye than photograph with a mobile.

I used one of these "in anger" this morning (not on a Caterham - I was checking the oil on the wife's Fiesta!). I can confirm that it was really easy to see a clear oil level. The "kink" and ball at the tip seem to serve to keep the actual reading part of the dipstick away from the guide tube wall so you don't get any oil wiped onto it, the result being a nice sharp clear edge to the oil.

On the VW van forum I frequent, someone posted just yesterday about an oil overfill warning light - just back from service and the garage had put too much in!! 

The manufacturers, it seems, have added a warning indicator for the issue you describe.

Diluting the oil with diesel is another reason I'm glad I do 6 month oil changes and not variable (up to 20k miles)!!

Sorry for the tangent discussions!

Ian