Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gasket Sealant

Sooty

Which gasket sealant. Just fitted a new sump on my Crossflow and as advised by manufacturer these were dry fitted . Got a leak which I think is between the cork gasket and the half moon crank seals. What is the best gasket sealant. Going to replace the cork with controlled swell twin laminate competition gasket so want to make sure there is a seal between the sump rail and the half moon gasket

Have used PRO SEAL instant gasket. OK up to 260 degrees C. Comes in 85g tubes in various colours. Says it can be used to replace original cork, felt,paper,rubber and composite gaskets. I have never used it on the sump but it has fixed similar problems to yours in other locations.

They always leak!

I had a bit of a shock after leaving Dealer Team Vauxhall and going back to work on Ford's engines. We only ever fitted the sump gaskets to the Vauxhall lump in the Chevette with a little smear of green Hermetite on the block face - and that was for the sole purpose of ensuring that if the lads had to drop the sump during an event, the gasket would stay in place and not need changing. They never leaked.

Ford sumps on the other hand? Let's just say that a sparing application of RTV is de rigueur.

Sorry if this sounds like I am belittling you but its a trick I only learnt recently from an old pro - whenever doing a gasket lightly press it together and let it sit for about 10 mins (assuming a touch dry seal is at about 30 mins) then go through your tightening procedure, otherwise the sealant just gets pressured out and doesn't....seal that is :)

A well respected member on the Elan forum recommends permatex no.3 aviation gasket sealant for the cork gasket. Paint it on and leave to go tacky then stick to the block and paint the other side and when tacky bolt up the sump. The sump flange bolt holes must not be distorted. The neoprene gaskets are sealed with permatex ultra copper.

Best regards 

Mark