Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Racing Washer

ScottR400D

The clearance between the deDion ear and the A-frame is about 2.5mm either side with the clamping bolt fully tightened and the washers sitting around the metal bush core (if they are caught between the A-frame and bush core they are incorrectly fitted). The standard Caterham washers act as limiters by allowing lateral movement until the deDion and A-frame fully contact the washer and compress it. The Poweflex washers are thicker, so there is no movement until they are contacted and they can only be compressed a small amount.

I too ordered 10 of the Ebay washers at £2.58. they arrived today at the same time as the 2 OE ones arrived from CC. As my cars still in pieces, I was able to try the cheaper washers. As they come they won't fit over the inner bush of the joint but it's the work of a minute, if that, with a stanley and/or small round file, to remove the 0.1 or 0.2mm from the central hole, after which they fit perfectly. The OD looks fine.

• Leadership Team

Back in the day when I was involved in this sort of thing for a living, we would have called those parts 'snubbers' rather than 'washers'.  Sort of helps to communicate that they fit circumferentially around the inner tube (the bit that takes the clamp load) and act as a bit of a buffer to restrict axial movement, and that they are not part of the clamping mechanism.

James