Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dead Battery

Silver Machine

If your battery drops from 12.8V to 2.4V when you turn the key I would say it's probably past its best. Oddly mine failed in the same way a couple of weeks ago. Fluid levels all good, charger said it was fully charged, open circuit voltage good, turn the key and the lights went out. New battery sorted it. Next day delivery from Tayna.

Many thanks for all your advice.  A jump start from another car worked so I guess the battery is dead. Checked fluid levels and all seemed ok. I suppose the drop to 2.4v on cranking was the big giveaway for a shot battery but it might well have been a poor connection. Many thanks to Jonathan for your email. 

I would guess one of our members  will know what is wrong with the battery.

Sorry for the slight hijack..

Have another problem with a non sealed battery  - I over filled the cells (my mistake) and it overflowed in the car :-(

So I want to move to a sealed battery but have a few questions..

Would you go for a Varley Red top 30 or use it as an "excuse" to change to the Lithium 5? Or is there a better battery to choose?

If I go for the Lithium 5, I believe I cannot use a CTekMXS5 maintenance charger - is that correct  -what is the best equivalent one?

I will be taking the car to Australia once the housing market restarts so need include that in the planning.

Cheers

Curly

• Area Representative

Before you buy a new battery, I would clean up every earth connection.  The one from the block to chassis gave the best improvement and all others. When I did this to mine, I had a dramatic increase in voltage drop on cranking. If no improvement, then a new battery needed.

Thank you Piers300. It would be sensible to give the earth connections a good clean. Don't think that job has ever been done and it is 1997 car that I have owned for 17 years. Out of interest I checked fluid levels were all ok and charged battery for 24 hrs using conditioner/charger. Voltage read 12.9V. Left for about half a day and rechecked voltage and it read 9.2V. Battery was disconnected throughout to eliminate the possibility of any drain to anything. Looking at the connections one or two of them would benefit from a clean.

• Area Representative

So if the battery reads 9.2 volts after settling and unconnected, then you have a Cell gone down. When charging,it will read about 13.2 volts and should settle to around 12.5 volts approximately. You need a new battery.

• Area Representative

When I had starting problems on my 2004 K, I spend two years trying to find the problem. The best improvement I got was cleaning ALL the earth connections to improve the volts drop on cranking. As with you car, it had never been done before. My problem turned out to be simple, a bad earth connection on the ECU. S & C found the problem in the end. I documented it on here under A Reluctant Starter. It’s quite a long read.