Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil leak !

kiloromeo

Thanks again for the varied suggestions, to answer the questions as best I can…

-As the car is in warranty period I can’t drill holes in the bellhousing, but will keep an eye on clutch fluid level anyway.

-I’ve checked all around the cam cover, block and bellhousing for signs of oil, but nothing seen. All clean.

-No signs of the fluid on the floor or rear end, it just seems to trail back under the gearbox a bit. The quantity leaking can only be a small amount.

-The feel of the leaking oil to me, is similar to the browny engine oil (taken from the filler cap this time). I can’t tell a difference. It’s not like clutch fluid though.

-I asked my other half to sniff the oil and describe it, and she says it smells oily. *clap* I asked if it smell like cats pee ? - no.

-Today I ran the car stationary for ages as suggested, and no signs of the leak. Took it for a good run (to check my eyesight *judge* ), and after cooling down for a few hours,  a trace of the light coloured fluid on the bellhousing join. (The exhaust was cold but the bellhousing was still bl**dy hot, that caught me out).

Great advice from everyone, thanks a lot. I’ve emailed Caterham to explain the issue and will see what happens.

The response will be:

Dear Sir, remove engine yourself tell us whats leaking and we will send you the parts,

You might as well start taking it out now, with photos, and that way you'll be back on the road sooner as I'm unsure who or how many of the team are currently working at CC.

At least this way you can order the parts sort the problem and put a claim for the parts in when they are up to full strength again.

• 5 months later...

Just to update those who replied to my posts, and others interested in the issue I had earlier this year...

Caterham had the car in to inspect and in the end the engine came out and they discovered an oil seal on the gearbox had been pinched in manufacture, and allowing oil to pass (presumably when hot), so new gearbox oil seal fitted, engine back in, all covered under warranty (despite it being a kit build and in it's 2nd year).

So a big thanks and thumbs up to Caterham for doing the right thing. *clap*