Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing the Headers

Brightonuk

I am looking to wrap the headers and was hoping removal would not be to involved

Do I need to remove the steering shaft completely to get the headers off or can I just release the shaft at the steering knuckle and rotate the headers in the engine bay and slide them off the end?

Steering1.thumb.jpg.779da20695651c07d13a3006213b6d4a.jpg Steering2.thumb.jpg.8be97b998db3b9279b46d5075f350ed3.jpg Steering3.thumb.jpg.f48abc581e5ac4c5baa1b815a55ac059.jpg

You will struggle to get the wrap tight enough with the headers on the engine even with the steering column out and the manifold studs loosened. Unless the wrap is really tight it will unravel. IIRC the wrap needs to go on wet so that when dried out a little shrinkage tightens the bind further.

Take the headers off is my recommendation.

Yes Zetec

I do not know how to get the headers off do I have to totally remove the steering column?

I was hoping to release it from the knuckle where it meets the front axle and hopefully I can slide the headers off but I do not know if I have enough wiggle room or do I need to remove the column completely 

A bit late to this thread, but as another Zetec owner I would simply remove the primaries one by one and bolt them to a piece of wood held in a vice, this makes wrapping them a doddle. I've never liked the stainless steel cable ties and have used decent stainless steel jubilee clips instead. I also used the opportunity to polish the primaries.

For the wrap I used Titanium Exhaust Wrap from DEI Performance (2 of 2" x 15' rolls), although I used gloves this stuff doesn't need to be wetted. I also used a die stamp set to number the primaries, makes putting them back in order a simple task *thumb_up*

Exhaustwrap.thumb.jpg.8a40686b605fe544ea98ed37f21aac18.jpg

At least I didn't have a steering column to worry about *smile*