Ignition light...

AMBO

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The black wires are as you have stated. The Blue/Green isn't connected to the alternator, but has the wire that isn't connected!

IG = White

S or D = Brown/Yellow

Blue/Green = not connected

Blue/green not connected - does the water temp gauge function?

It seems you're confirming  that the 'brown/yellow' black wire has been put onto the 'S' or 'D' terminal?  If so it should be moved to the 'L' terminal.

However, that would leave an empty terminal, which may or may not be a battery voltage sense connection.

If there is no way of identifying the model of alternator to determine its function I think it would be advisable to connect this to the battery +ve terminal.

Cheers

Thank you for the advice...will report back when I've had a look!

Water temp does work. Water and Oil pressure/temp gauges were fitted more recently.

The only other thing that doesn't work is the immobiliser light, but I'm not convinced it has an immobiliser!

Cheers chaps!

I'm getting a tad confused.  Perhaps we could have a little recap?

Assuming that the OP has the Nippon Denso alt shown in #34, there's some terminal/wiring info here.  Although this shows a slightly different cover design, it has the same (typically Denso?) circular 3-terminal socket:

NipponDensoalternatorterminals.jpg.0cfb19645cae785b2b8d0bb6c59f716b.jpg

So, this would be a Type 3 on the Brise chart (#33):

Alternatorregulatorconnections(Brise).jpg.0a145b55fd2d2e5aab226212bafd4c2e.jpg

This is the OP's wiring (#18):

OPaltwiring_annotated.jpg.f1720cc8b1c7c9a18802e0f8b89ac9c7.jpg  

So, EITHER:

From bjw's comment in #52, the wire connected to "S" is wrong and should be moved to "L". 

The alt will then be running without a voltage sense wire.  To fix that, run a wire from "S" to the battery +ve terminal (as bjw suggests in #52).

OR:

The OP's "S" wire is indeed a sense wire, and what is missing is a warning-light wire from "L".

Have I got that straight?

JV

#46 (bjw): If the black wire from white goes to 'IG' as in the Brise diagram (types 2 and 3), and the one from brown/yellow goes to the middle terminal 'S' (type 2) or 'D' (type 3) then it seems the 'brown/yellow' black wire is fitted incorrectly.

(We know the warning lamp is on brown/yellow.)

#49 (AMBO): The black wires are as you have stated.

#52(bjw): It seems you're confirming  that the 'brown/yellow' black wire has been put onto the 'S' or 'D' terminal?  If so it should be moved to the 'L' terminal.

As it appears the alternator is indeed of the type which does use the 'middle' terminal for sensing, it's uncertain what happens if it is left unconnected with the warning lamp connected to 'L'. Perhaps this was done originally and the regulated output was too high or too low. Moving the ignition lamp wire onto the sense terminal 'temporarily' might have provided a better result and was left in place. Who knows what went on...?

It might be worth simply moving the warning wire to 'L', running the engine and seeing what voltage the alternator puts out. If it's o.k. then the sense wire might not actually be necessary, but...

Cheers

Thank you again chaps!

I have another issue to deal with now, but will come back to this and let you know...

I really appreciate the time and effort you are going into to help me...and I'm learning here  *bow* 

PS, where should I find the connector as mentioned earlier...

It would be worth locating the 14 pin plug/socket that connects to the main vehicle loom. It may be the case that the brown/yellow doesn't make it to the other side...

PS, where should I find the connector as mentioned earlier...

From your post #45 I took it that you were referring to that 14 way connector pair, and it was fitted with 9 wires on the main loom side and 7 wires on the engine loom side ?

(The term '14 way connector' refers to the housing, no matter how many ways are actually populated.)

Cheers

OR:

The OP's "S" wire is indeed a sense wire, and what is missing is a warning-light wire from "L".

As the OP reports that the brown/yellow into the 14-way emerges as black to the "S" terminal, I think my alternative scenario above is probably nonsense! 

Presumably (if added) a voltage sense wire from "S" ought to go to a fused permanent 12v supply, as close to the battery +ve as possible, rather than direct to the battery +ve?

JV

Presumably (if added) a voltage sense wire from "S" ought to go to a fused permanent 12v supply, as close to the battery +ve as possible, rather than direct to the battery +ve?

Not necessarily fused (- note that the adjacent 'IG' terminal feed is unfused), but if the car is fitted with a battery master switch the sense wire should clearly be downstream of that and not directly to battery +ve

Cheers

...but if the car is fitted with a battery master switch the sense wire should clearly be downstream of that and not directly to battery +ve

Good point.  Such as the big fat terminal on the starter, perhaps?  I imagine that you'd want to minimise the scope (I was going to say "potential" but thought better of it) for voltage drop between the battery and the the point where the sense wire is connected? 

JV

Such as the big fat terminal on the starter, perhaps?

Seems reasonable. I suppose in theory the best place would be at the master switch, but in reality there shouldn't be a significant drop from the master switch to that point, and it would likely be much easier to wire it to to the starter..

Cheers

Think was i was just seeking clarity that I was looking at the right connector! The grey has the 14 holes for wires and 9 on the loom side with 7 on the engine side, so now I'm confident that I was refering to the correct plug and understand the terminology...thanks you again!

Re #63:

Do you plan to move your existing "S" wire (see pic in #54) to "L" and then run a wire from "S" to the fat starter terminal?

If so, the warning light should come on when you turn the ignition on, and go out when the engine is running (at, say, 1000-1200 rpm).  And with the engine running (and alt charging), you should have about 14.5v across the battery.

It's not clear to me where your alt gets its excitation current from at the moment.  I'm not familiar with your tacho, but I take it the warning light is an LED?  If so, I imagine that either (a) there's additional circuitry to ensure an adequate excitation current in the warning-light wiring (to match an incandescent bulb), or (b) the excitation current originates elsewhere.

JV

It's not clear to me where your alt gets its excitation current from at the moment.

That's the function of the 'IG' connection.

Again, it's probably worth moving the warning lamp connection from 'S' to 'L' and then doing a test run before connecting the sense, just to get a bit more information.

Careful - croc clips and a vibrating/shaking engine isn't an ideal combination...especially if it's the alternator end of the sense lead that comes off!

Cheers

Yes , but in this case AMBO confirmed it has been charging o.k...

He did indeed.

...with no warning lamp connection.

Well, strictly speaking, I suppose it was connected, but to "S" rather than "L".  Presumably the field coils would be unable to pick up an excitation current via "S"?

JV

As promised, an update...

I've moved the Brown/Yellow from S or D (depending on which of the Brise diagrams we go from) to and the red (LED) ignition light comes on...fantastic chaps  *bow*

I can't unfortunately go any further yet, because my ECU maybe faulty...the engine will not start! But once that is sorted I can check for volts as suggested with ignition off, on and engine running. Then I can report back and take your advice on whether to  connect a wire from S/to erm, somewhere!

Regarding the 3rd Black wire that I found disconnected, but is connected to Blue/Green on the 14 pin plug....I think someone suggested that it could be to do with the water temp gauge. Gauge works, but the wire was by the 'H20' connection, so I wonder if the was originally connected to a different CTS or that when the engine was removed much more recently, someone just got confused or couldn't be bothered to work out, what you chaps have helped me work out...

Thanks again chaps!

Nick

Oh and comments noted about use of crocodile clips!