Ignition light...

AMBO

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Green/ White is traditionally "Direction indicator switch to right-hand flasher lamps" and Green/ Red "Direction indicator switch to left-hand flasher lamps".

Some Sevens use a single telltale lamp for both indicators (with another weird circuit) and some one lamp for each side.

Jonathan

PS: "Common colour codes for British Vehicle Wiring", not completely standardised but Caterham mostly stick to these.

I'm afraid I'm a bit in the dark on this one too. I'm not sure what kind of alternator that is, what is normally fitted to a Duratec and even whether that has the normal alternator for a Duratec. It's a bit odd having black wires on the main terminals as black is usually reserved for earths.

Thanks, Andrew.

It's a bit odd having black wires on the main terminals as black is usually reserved for earths.

My working explanation for that is:

... it was Raceline's development car originally!

And I'm also working on the assumption that that's when they didn't reconnect the wire to the lamp.

Jonathan

AlternatorConnectors.jpg.b3d3b0fdfa43b0e7eefa0b4855040316.jpg

The alternator connector looks like #2 or #3, and the existing connections suggest #3. That would seem to confirm that the alternator will charge ok with or without a warning light connected to the unused terminal.

It would be worth locating the 14 pin plug/socket that connects to the main vehicle loom. It may be the case that the brown/yellow doesn't make it to the other side...

Cheers

Your alt certainly isn't a standard Duratec one (not surprising given the "development" nature of the car).

A bit of googling suggests that it's a NipponDenso, as fitted to the Daihatsu Charade:

NipponDensoDaihatsuCharadealt.thumb.jpg.ed321e7d7f77cbf280fe9efb62d34d07.jpg

...although the cover on yours seems to have been knocked about a bit!  

Re wiring, there may be some clues here (four-connector, Type 2).

JV

#34: I'd work on that basis.

Have a good look around the terminal of interest to see if you can find an identifying letter.

If there isn't one I'd probably make a test lead to measure the voltage to earth at the terminal of interest with the ignition on and the engine off and then with it running. Or you could make a replica warning light circuit. Or you could use the existing one.

It would be worth locating the 14 pin plug/socket that connects to the main vehicle loom. It may be the case that the brown/yellow doesn't make it to the other side...

Yes. I'd thought of starting at the distal end to see if it's been cut and wrapped but that might be more efficient.

Clearly not as standardised as I thought!

Not even the identifying letters are standardised! :-)

Jonathan

"That's confused things...connections completely different to the Brise tag... Clearly not as standardised as I thought!"

However, just noticed the text following the diagram:-

"This did not work on my alternator, the ignition light did not work but it was outputting charge to the battery, it may work on your alternator."

!!!

I think I'd trust the Brise tag version...

Cheers

I've had a look today and the grey connector block at the bottom of the pic has the 2 black wires from the alternator going into it corresponding with a Brown/Yellow wire and White wire on the opposite side of the connector which has 7 pins in total.

The odd thing is that another Black wire opposite a Blue/Green wire was clipped out of the way by the coil pack...but it's the same size wire, connectors and heatshrink so I presume was done at the same time as the other 2, but disconnected (it's long enough to reach the alternator...! Had another look at the alternator, but can't se any marks near the terminals.

Thanks Nick

Oh, not got round to testing the voltage on those alternator connections yet, but I will...

F6E9EA06-6E4D-43C1-8572-20F83C6123D3.jpeg.3ebcac49f9c4a2a82f2afb6a70124d51.jpeg

Can you determine which black wire goes to which alternator terminal?

If the black wire from white goes to 'IG' as in the Brise diagram (types 2 and 3), and the one from brown/yellow goes to the middle terminal 'S' (type 2) or 'D' (type 3) then it seems the 'brown/yellow' black wire is fitted incorrectly.

Cheers

The black wires are as you have stated. The Blue/Green isn't connected to the alternator, but has the wire that isn't connected!

IG = White

S or D = Brown/Yellow

Blue/Green = not connected

S = Battery Sense

IG = Ignition switched supply, which I can trace back to the switch...

L = Warning light, again I can look at the back of the tacho...

D = Don't use!

Writing it as above, to help me make sense of it!!  

It's a 2001 Dedion kit which Raceline built and used to presumably work out how to fit the Duratec engine etc. It was SVA'd late 2003 and then went into private ownership. Does K mean K series engine? If so, that was I think the engine in use at the time which was supplied with most kits...

Email just received thanks! Not looked yet, but a 2001 build manual could be handy please...  *driving*