Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Under wing protection.

sylvaman

On my last 7 type build , (Years ago) i painted/coated underneath the wings with a rubberised type of paint , to stop stones chipping the underside and give some surface protection. 

Plus added benefit of dulling that cringe making sound of stones hitting *mad*

.  Anyway...... i see that CBS do a modern equivalent called Wunderseal synthetic elastomer. 

Has anyone tried it ..... or considered it unneccessary as thickness /design of modern Caterham glassfibre doesn't require it. 

I used something called Carlife Rubbercoat when I built it in 2001 - no starcracks at all until an attacking people carrier rather overcome the protection of rubber inside.

Used Isoflex liquid rubber on the replacements and so far, a few years later, no starcracks, and my back road commute home is rather ropey so it certainly gets tested!

It even survived having a rear lower shock bolt snap, putting the tyre into contact with the inside of the wing at 40mph

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned them well, wiped down with brake cleaner, allowed to dry and then started covering everywhere in black rubber . . .

Mask the outside edges!  And wear gloves.

Withstood the tyre rubbing on it, so I'd say primer not required.

Well ....I bought the Isoflex, (2.5l Screwfix ) and put one coat on rear wing this afternoon as a trial.

It goes on quite thick , going to let dry overnight ...hopefully, and decide if it needs another coat. 

Probably because its not that warm out and i should have warmed the tin by bringing in house overnight . Which i have done now. 

At the rate the first coat went on , i am glad i bought the 2.5l tin. 

On the Instructions it does say minimum thickness 1mm,  using two coats,  but as this is intended for flat roof sealing/repairs , i am thinking one will probably be enough for our usage.  *driving*

• 4 years later...