Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CF dash advice

finmac

I am toying with changing the dash in my CSR (stack equipped) to CF. Choices seem to be paying Caterham £400 plus or buy a blank and cut the holes and squares myself. Anyone done the latter (it’s a lot of cutting and opportunity to make a mistake!)?

any other ideas?

Cover the cf with masking tape before drawing your layout. Test the drawing in the car from the drivers seat. Mark the position of the scuttle tubes. Bugger the measure twice business- measure 6 times. Cut with sharp cutters slowly. Take your time

IMG_20190323_111220_1.thumb.jpg.a4e17e0f9f69befafca53c72bdb620a2.jpg

Its years ago now and the original 52mm holecutter replaced but it was f ine toothed and a solid cutting ring and decent arbor rather than one of the cheapo split cutters. If you are cutting non circular holes then I'd use a dremel very carefully.

I considered swapping my SV dash for a custom one (different switches/layout) last year.

Darren at Caterham said he could supply a blank carbon dash for me to cut.  Cost circa £300 inc VAT.

I also found a chap, via a Facebook group, who could water-cut the holes from a .DXF CAD file to ensure perfection of the holes/their position for an astounding £50!  If you want, I might be able find his details.

However, I decided against it as the switches I fancied were pricey so the idea of spanking probably £600+ by the time it was all done on a vanity project lost its attraction!

In the end, I wrapped my dashboard with carbon-look sticky-backed plastic...  and have had a number of admiring comments but have always fessed up to it being faux!

4B211770-639B-476F-8B48-F341000135D7.thumb.jpeg.3d15b277e4aa6ecd0e4ec54722f129af.jpeg