Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dunlop Bluresponse 185/60/14 Verdict?

New Cat

I really need a replacement for my 14" Yokohama A021 tyres. These are no longer available for road use. Yokohama have suggested that they may issue the A052 in the 185/60/14 size but I don't think I can wait any longer. I really love the A021 and the amount of grip and confidence they give regardless of the conditions.

I will only be using these tyres on road and am loathe to shorten the gearing of my x-flow by moving to 13" (plus the expense).

These Dunlop's seem to have been flying under the radar but just how good are they? Currently they are also extremely cheap (less than £45 each before fitting).

Thanks, Jon

I'm currently running them on mine, having previously used Conti Premium Contacts in the same size. They've done a few thousand road miles, and a couple of track days. They were very impressive in the wet at Folembray, and equally didn't disintegrate in the heat of Clastres (day after the hottest day of the year in July). I don't think they're quite as good as the Conti's, but as an all rounder do pretty well. I don't think they'll provide as much grip overall as the A021s.

I also have a set of 13s with Uniroyal rain expert (in 185/70/13). These are definitely overwhelmed by hot weather and very squeally when you press on a bit, but coped better than expected in snow and do very well in heavy rain. However my plan when they next need replacing is keep the Dunlops as the road tyre and get some NS2Rs or similar (in 185/60/13) for track use.

Dilemma dilemma! I do love the grip of the A021s and really benefit from it when trying to keep up with faster cars on blats (being a humble x-flow). Maybe I should keep bugging Yokohama about releasing the A052s in the 185/60/14 size.

Otherwise moving to a 185/70/13 wheel / tyre? There are not many options in these sizes too now are there? Or maybe most drastically, swapping my 3.91 diff for a 3.62, jacking up the suspension and going for something like Avon ZZS 185/55/13s? My speedo needs fixing anyway! Sounds a lot of work and expense though...

There seemed to be fewer decent options in 185/70/13 than 185/60/14. Jacking the suspension up may have other side effects (like bump steer, bump travel) that have a negative impact on ride/handling. I think I'm resigned that if I go to 185/60/13 I'm going to lose some ride height, but if those become the "track" tyres, hopefully that's less of an issue.

I fitted my 155 hp Sigma SV with the Dunlop Bluresponse in May 2018 and have done around 4000 miles without any problem.  This includes a two week blat around the Black Forest and various Alpine passes this year.  Air temperatures in the mid 30's and I had no problem in the curves, unlike some of the Porkers trying to keep up *smile*.  They have also been good in the wet.  Great all round tyre, but definitely not as sticky as A021's.

Another who misses the Yokohama 48's!

I have had Uniroyal Rainmasters fitted all summer, including the clubs trip to Spain / Portugal. I just use the car on the road, and they have been fine.

The recommendation seemed to be 20psi, so thats what they are at the moment.

The two main differences are the tyre profile; there is obviously less contact with the road as the profile is less 'square', and the side walls are definitely softer, making for a more comfortable ride. 

If I could afford it, i would have the Rainmasters fitted in the winter, and perhaps a set of Toyo's for the summer, but as it is, the Rainmasters seem to be a good all round choise.

Col