Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series oil dipstick.

Fyldeflier

I have just had the oil dipstick in my K series snap in the tube that feeds into the sump.

it is the yellow plastic type and has broken off where the graduation marks are at the sump end.

i assume its sump off to remove the broken bit.

any tips or advice?

thanks.

John.

I doubt the missing bit will be in the tube unless it has broken quite high up. Don't worry. Dropping the pan is not a big issue and you can re-use the gasket. When re-installing remember to loosely fit the M10 bolts from the bellhousing side before doing up the M8 bolts from underneath. Otherwise it'll be a pain. With the right tools the excersise is done in 15 mins.

If you remove the single bolt that holds the dip tube and thermostat housing (agree you shouldn't have to), be very careful refitting it ... easy to cross thread it and strip the female thread in the block. Also easy to disturb the thermostat and start getting leaks.

Thanks guys.it seems to have snapped pretty low down where the tube bend is at maximum.

i don’t fancy disturbing the thermostat and take the point about cross threading the bolt through it into the block.

so I have made sure that the broken end has dropped into the sump and will drain the oil and drop the sump.

thanks for the tip re the bell housing bolts on reassembly. 

John.

Thread about replacement dipstick here:

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/k-series-18-dipstick-availability?page=1

I would not be afraid of removing the bolt that holds the tube and thermostat housing. Never managed to damage the thread when doing so. (Or re-fitting) - my sump threads is another thing but I've dropped the sump maybe 15 times or so in the past. The M14x1.5 for the plug has also needed attention, but with up to ten oil changes a year it all adds up.