Click here if you are having website access problems ×

European etc trip

K7 VCT

Hi all, as we are heading to the Italian lakes trip in September, along with France,Germany and Switzerland .i understand i still need a GB badge for Switzerland as not in Eu. ?

I have 5 3/4 headlights, so can anyone recommend the best headlight beam converters.

I will be taking the breathalyse kit, high visibility waistcoat and warning triangle.

Many thanks all

Breathylser not needed for France. Vignette needed for any Swiss motorways ... you can buy it at last few services as you head south or at Border. Deflectors ... the reflective self adhesive type is good. You need to cut a bit into a wedge shape. Photo to follow. GB on number plate or separate badge is suggested for any country. Hi vis vests for all occupants must be kept inside cockpit and put on before getting out of the car on a motorway.

Consider a spare bulb set for France. Not that it's obligatory to carry it, but it's a €68 fine if you are caught driving with non-functioning lights. Pretty pointless for a lot of tintops as the bulbs aren't user changeable and I've lost track of the number of cars here in Ile de France with at least one non-functioning brake light.

Just come back from Holland/Belgium, got randomly breath tested on the way off the ferry at Ijmuiden so worth bearing that in mind. There was an officer with a breath tester on each line of cars by passport control.

Two of us had all manner of problems with satnavs. Mine died completely on the way up the motorway back to Ijmuiden, very very inconvenient with all the junctions nearer to the port. Fortunately we had two phones also to use for navigation.

One of us had a Tom Tom, the other a Garmin and there seemed to be problems with the USB power leads on both. Nothing wrong with the power to the sockets however.

I find a bowler hat comes in useful. GPS devices invariably let you down at the critical moment but I'm still biased towards Garmin. I've had so many problems with poor power connections I now take a power pack with me and drive the GPS off that if problems arise.

Still wouldn't tour without paper maps.