Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R Noise Levels

Se7enBTCC

Evening all, just bought my first Caterham and aiming to take it to my local track at Bedford shortly for a track day.

Does anyone know the unmodified noise levels from a 420R, I’m concerned it’s too loud for the low limits?

I have a 2015 R400 with RBTBs, standard side exhaust and have no problems on TDs. It’s usually about 100dB static, never thought about drive by. 

Mine is an SV so the air intake is under the hood, which might make a small difference. 

I’ve done Bedford quite a few times with Javelin and they certainly don’t want to send anybody home. If you trigger the drive by sensors you would get a warning which means back-off on the revs [in certain places where the sensors are]. As you say, the only way of really knowing is to try.

I have a duratec on TB, Carbon airbox and a Raceco.

i pass the static at Bedford easily, but i have to hold the revs (a little) past the sensors.

i think the “larger” raceco and a little sound deadening in the carbon airbox may just tip me under the drive by.

when you go, start a 5,000rpm and build revs gently until you get a sound warning board and then drop back, it’s also a great way to learn the circuit if you’ve not been before.

pete