Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Interchangeable aeroscreen fitting

CtrMint

Mike S graciously let me passenger in his 620 fitted within an aeroscreen and I think after that I'd use a full face helmet.

This might be a little at a tangent here....

I started to look at Motorbike helmets as my Stilo WRC DES even with an integrated visor wasn't good enough eye/wind protection.  I've only ever bought stage rallying helmets, Peltor and Stilo, lately Stilo following the mandatory regs surrounding HANS protection.   I appreciate a Stilo has an integrated intercom, and costs around £700.   Motorbike helmets from Halfords seem to be about £100, some as low as £35!.   I don't want to compromise on safety, but neither do I want to spend money for the sake of it.

Question is how low can you go?  Is a helmet for £35 actually any good.  I have no experience with Motorbike helmets but thought there might be some useful contributors here.

Hi Mark

I think you will find motor cycle helmets are not allowed on some tracks in cars and not for motorsport, I think its to do with the construction of the helmet. You would be better looking at someone like Demon Tweeks who do some good prices they do really almost from F1 standard down to Track day. I think its to do with the different type of impact you would have in a car compared to falling off a bike.

Hope this helps

Mrp

I thought the main difference between race and m/c helmets is the aperture. Many race helmets severely restrict peripheral vision and aren’t good, if evenblegal, for road use. 

I use a race helmet for TDs and have never had it looked at or checked by anyone and I know many use m/c helmets for TDs. 

I wouldn't use a helmet on the road so the race for me is fine. 

Here in Canada a helmet used in a car on the track has to be rated for impact with a rollbar or cage if the car is required to have one fitted. In the Snell rating that means an “SA” rated helmet designed for impact with rollbars vs the “M” motorcycle rated helmet that is designed for impact with surfaces.

I'd noticed that many of the car race style helmets @ DT would have restricted peripheral vision, it's one of the reasons I'd looked at bike helmets. So not ideal for road use.

Plus one of the critical differences I've noticed between the differing price points is the use of fire retardant materials, on the helmets at around or above 400GBP retardant materials are introduced.  Obviously, when you get to even more expensive options you start paying for lightweight materials.

Wrt trackdays in my Exige, I've always used my Stilo WRC DES helmet which I also use for competition stage rallying and is subsequently subject to event scrutineering.  I've never had a helmet checked at a TD, but I know the Stilo wouldn't be allowed for the 7 as it's classed as an open face design.  The likes of Open Track sensibly mandate full face helmets for open cockpit cars such as the 7.

If I'm going to use the aero on the road I tend to think a helmet is required, don't forget as a Manx resident we are more liberal with speed, and I think it becomes both uncomfortable and dangerous when accounting for those higher speeds.  

Thus the conundrum, I want to test out the aero for a month or more, driving as I'd normally drive for fun, but I accept I may go back to a full screen, and I don't want to waste money.  Given I will track the 7, I suspect my best option is to find a helmet which is the right combination for track and road use which won't break the bank, or get me in trouble with the wife, she's already not happy about me removing the screen!  She hates the Exige and refuses to go in that, but currently enjoys the 7. 

I valued my head around £30. I have an Aldi bike helmet. On researching I came across test data that didn't link cost to doing its job in an accident. I should add, this was for bike helmets only. I did have a V2 helmet prior to that but the lining was very poor.

• Area Representative

Watch this and make your own mind... After seeing this a few months ago, just confirmed to me that cheap helmets not always pass what it says on the tin... or lid

Just getting back to the fitting.

I've had a good look at my aeroscreen, and it's fitted with a rubber trim on the foremost straight section between it and the body.  The trim is cut at an angle at both ends and does not continue down the side and around the curved mounting area.  So basically the top edge.  The bare edge of the GRP is fairly coarse especially around the lower area near the body mountings.

Personally, I think it's a little strange to fit rubber trim to such a short section, and I'm sure the remaining exposed areas will damage the body/paint.  I've emailed Derek at CC requesting some IVA trim, he's yet to respond, but I'm not sure that's the correct trim.

Could I possibly ask those with aeroscreens whether they've got a rubber trim all the way around or at least around all contact points?

Also what type of trim is fitted, I suspect I may need to purchase my own, is it the IVA trim used on the cycle wings?

Thanks

I received an email response from Derek @CC today regarding the matter.  Derek confirmed the rubber trim is correct and provided an image of a similar carbon item with an identical trim. Derek stated that CC don't keep the trim supplied. He also went on to state fitting additional trim around the edge which is of concern may cause the screen to sit badly.  

Given this it would be hugely beneficial to see what other owners with the aeroscreen have done? did you fit additional trim and if so what sort and how good is the fitment?

My other option at this point is to go down the PPF route, I've used it successfully in a number of areas and I think I will probably work here too.

thanks

I didn't fit additional trim and I can see how it might affect the fit. Not that the fit’s good anyway, still has a variable gap in some spots. 

It’s up to you but I wouldn’t get too precious about minor marks. I haven’t noticed any from the aeroscreen in any case.

• 2 months later...

FWIW I ditched the centre mirror pretty quickly, it was too obstructive. 

But then I don’t use on the road, maybe you’d have to have it then, I don’t know. 

Also, take care removing and fitting the wiper blades. The spindles are made of a steel/white chocolate alloy apparently and are easily damaged where the clip of the blade sits. 

The wipers can then fall off as you’re driving along. Ask me how I know. 

I just put some black rubber plugs over the spindles, takes about 5 mins to convert back to windscreen and doors again on the odd occasion I need them on. Also added a 60mm extension I machined from stainless steel to raise the centre mirror up to give me a view of the offside cycle wing, for better corner placement, especially at autocross or on track.

6296D05B-87FE-4E92-AA04-E04C23FA498C.thumb.jpeg.16ddf52cd6bc75c8c8010127d7057a59.jpeg  

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I've finally written my blog post re the Aeroscreen.  The screen has been fitted for a few weeks now, however the post was delayed due to the reverse engineering work being carried out with John/James.  All my spare time is committed to that!

https://www.caterham7diaries.com/post/fitting-the-aeroscreen 

I'll probably write a review at some point.  My short term view is very mixed, generally speaking, its more fun, but the compromised front near side visibility is a pain.  The rearview mirror does get in the way, so I may need to fashion a fix before making a final judgment.

Hi Mark, being able to see the offside wheel really transforms the experience, I used an extension to be able to easily see the wheel under the mirror.

The ball joint attaching the mirror to the post unscrews from the mirror. You can then match the thread and either use a threaded piece of tubing (internal 1/4"-20 thread) with the thread from a 1/4" bolt glued in one end to screw into the mirror, or if you have access to a lathe, turn an extension like I did (I used stainless steel) with a male thread and shoulder on one end and female thread on the other. The black washer is the original washer that the thread on the ball joint rested against in the original install. My extension is 60mm long between the mounting faces and has a flat milled on it to aid in tightening:

6DEE66CA-8F7D-4156-B89A-AB43C532FDDD.thumb.jpeg.495309b6aebf51a894c79f0270cbfbce.jpeg