Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pace Dry Sump Pump Belt Replacement

Paul Mason

My searching is probably letting me down, but my Fenner L210 belt on my K series Pace dry sump pump has snapped. As I sit waiting for recovery, thought I'd search how to tension the replacement while fitting but can't find an article/thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Fortunately it seemed to go on start up so optimistic no damage done

There is no way to adjust/tighten the belt. You just slide it on, but it is a very tight fit - I know as I have done it several times.

I have used a little fairy liquid in the past to 'assist' fitting, but be prepared to swear quite a lot.

Excellent, thanks all for your prompt advice and guidance. RJ, fingers crossed, the engine ran at tickover for about 15 seconds I think with the belt snapped. Drove it to a car show no problems, across a bumpy and rutted field (albeit slowly) where I am guessing its either had a glance off something or a twig got stuck and snapped. When I started it to leave, a slightly different "clack" to normal. Engine off. Checked oil tank (full). Started again, clack again, off again. Then checked the pump and found the snapped belt. So on the basis no issues on the way there and the fact that the belt was still in its place, makes me think it snapped either as I dawdled in to parking or as I started it to leave so hoping (and hoping and hoping) no lasting damage done

15 seconds will cause no damage on idle as you wont have had time to empty the DS tank in that time - worry not,

fitting the belt is straight forward, ease 2mm onto each pulley and puch the edge of the belt with your thumb gently working around the whole belt until its on.

once on they may appear a little slack, do not be tempted to shim the pump etc to tension as his will mean the belt is over tight once the engine expands when hot - resulting in the belt snapping.

7W

With the Pace setup you remove the rotor of the original pump and therefore there will be no oil pressure at all if the belt snap!

Paul,

How much oil does your car take (I gather you have the kidney shaped Brise tank)? And how do you check level?

Paul, thanks.

7W, you're forgiven. Happens to all of us.

I would also be surprised if anything has happened. When you start up the engine after an oil change it also runs without oil pressure for a short while. Which my new engine also did today although well lubicated with assembly grease. It was clear when the pressure was built up as the revs increased. Very odd.

Quick (and happy) update. Belt(s) delivered, popped one in some hot water, and "walked" onto the big pulley turning the engine with a 22mm deep socket following some advice. All went on not too bad. Started, pressure built as cranking, then straight up to 60psi on start up. Seemingly, no untoward noises, rattles, clatters or bangs so fingers crossed, a lucky escape (though didn't get chance to take it for a drive). Thanks all for your guidance, advice & words of encouragement *clap*