Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K&N filter on 420r?

Limitless

• Area Representative

The engine breathing will be slightly easier but you may not notice. Best to keep it as dry as possible to avoid oil entering the plenum. K & Ns are supplied pre oiled though.

On the other hand most Pipercross filters like the PX 600 sausage over my RBTBs can be run dry as recommended by the Pipercross shop. I just give it an annual vacuum. 

IMG_1043.thumb.PNG.cc6df2c5ad04757f3e3467ccc983c250.PNG

I have fitted a K&N universal cone filter to the plenum of my 2018 360R, so pretty much the same. It's definitely louder and deeper with a nice growl. Not noticed any negatives or flat spots, still idles nicely. Win win as far as I am concerned and glad I did it.

Andy

If you are looking at a K&N panel filter replacement, it's not the exact swap for the paper filter supplied in the kit.   CC are supplying a different K&N panel filter to fit in the air box. 

So the paper filter (in my kit) was a Ford Part 1729854 which is for a Fiesta / Fusion (NOT ST150) 2001 - 2008.   This should be replaced with a K&N 33-2853 which I purchased for my 360, but it didn't fit the air box very well so I ended up not using it.    

Recently a friend has a kit delivered (310) which had a K&N panel filter as standard, a 33-2036 (From Honda Civic and Nissan 300ZX) which from the photos I have seen appears to fit the air box much better.  

• 5 years later...

I’ve recently run-in my 420R and am interested in the change of air filter to a cone. It sounds really interesting. How did it go for anyone who’s done this? Any things to be aware of when thinking about it?

I’m interested in doing this partly to claim some under bonnet space for storage (I don’t have a heater, so have a long space I could use nicely if the airbox wasn’t quite as big).

Not Duratec but on my Sigma I took the airbox out as I couldn’t stop it vibrating against the bulkhead. Replaced with pipercross cone. It has a nice ‘throaty’ sound now. Feels like it added 50bhp but that’s just in my mind 😂

Thanks for the insight @Andrew Bennett - any chance you could share a photo?

One of the bobbins underneath my airbox is already leaning over at quite an angle so it seems only a matter of time before that snaps.

I like the fact the existing airbox mainly pulls air from outside the car rather than within the engine bay, but am wondering if using a filter with more surface area would offset any losses from it no longer being a “cold” air intake.

12 hours ago, lapsedtheorist said:

Thanks for the insight @Andrew Bennett - any chance you could share a photo?

One of the bobbins underneath my airbox is already leaning over at quite an angle so it seems only a matter of time before that snaps.

I like the fact the existing airbox mainly pulls air from outside the car rather than within the engine bay, but am wondering if using a filter with more surface area would offset any losses from it no longer being a “cold” air intake.

Here we are 

IMG_4263.jpeg

Thanks @RogW, interesting that even though your car is only 2 years older than mine, you have a silver coloured fluid tank of some kind where my airbox is. A few follow-up questions, if I may:

(a) was the filter the original fitment, or is that a mod?

(b) anything of note regarding performance or maintenance with this filter, in your opinion?

(c) I'm curious to know what the silver coloured fluid tank is for

1 hour ago, lapsedtheorist said:

(c) I'm curious to know what the silver coloured fluid tank is for

Stuart at Premier Power would fit these coolant header tanks in preference to the potentially weak standard items… I’d expect that is why it’s there!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thanks @RogW for the notes. Just to close this one out and leave some resources for others: my new filter arrived today ("ITG Maxogen Fully Coned Air Filter JC60 with Rubber Neck; Internal Diameter 70mm") and was simple to fit. Looks great and the car seems to run happily with it. It turns out one of the bobbins under the previous air box had broken anyway, so it was only a matter of time before that needed sorting and I like this new solution a lot better.

image.thumb.jpeg.6dbb9b4a3d2c83cdcdb6069cb3723d5d.jpeg

Edited by lapsedtheorist
Replace attached image with embedded one
  • Like 1