Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swapping front springs from 2.25" to 1.9" - need a part..

thompster

Thanks to GJT I have a set of standard front / rear springs to fit in place of my 2.25" race springs.

Rear springs are 2.25" diameter and will go straight on but new fronts are only 1.9" and my  upper spring retainers at the damper eyes are too big for the 1.9" springs to seat. Caterhamparts lists a 2.25" retainer but not a 1.9" one.  Any ideas if its possible to get the standard 1.9 ones anywhere or do I need to find some 2.25 front springs?

Or perhaps talk to Bilstein in Leicester - I was in their very hygienic build facility recently! Hopefully a generic part rather than a ‘restricted’ caterham specific part!!

Are you using adjustable platforms? If yes did you spot the collars are different and will need switching around for the smaller spring?

Might also be worth checking the top washer diameter as maybe different for the 2.25 - mine is 42mm and on 1.9s

Ian

Thanks all.. good advice to call Bilstein: What nice people - they're sending me a couple of the spring retainers FOC. Slightly worried about the washers because if they are different I'll need to remove the damper eye to change them.  Could do without that..

• 4 months later...