Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front mudguard unstuck

miles.gray

You might find powder coat has come off stay. If so, clean stay and paint to seal it. You need to clean underside of wing with acetone, or meths if nothing else available. Rebond it with Sikaflex or Tigerseal. Fillet either side of stay. Run three lengthways strips around the inside of the wing and up and over each stay like hump back bridges. Don't drive it until it has completely cured.

thanks, another stupid question (s) do the wingstays have to be removed?  If so, I can't see how the indicator wire gets disconnected.  Looks like quite an involved job getting wing stays off. I'd rather not drill them if poss (I even though it would mean I can drive it this afternoon...

No, no need to remove, it would be hard to see what advantage that would give even on a first fit.   

I don’t think drilling is a bad thing, actually. Especially if you’re going to effect the repair with the front part of the stay still attached. Cleaning off the old adhesive and redoing won’t be easy. 

I used studded big heads bonded to the front  part, and fitted through holes in the stay, with  two bolts through the rear. Black bolts on carbon wings. I never notice those bolts, being quite low and no-one’s ever mentioned them, they’re quite unobtrusive. 

I guess coloured wings give you less chance to make it unobtrusive. 

• Area Representative

To repaint the wing stay would create a surface that will create a poor bond with the adhesive.

Best to leave a narrow strip of bare degreased metal along the top of the stay that will be covered by the adhesive fillet. Then there is no chance of corrosion occurring. 

To ensure a good key lightly score the bare metal cross hatch using the edge of a three square file (triangular). Ensure that the opposing surface on the wing is also lightly roughed up with 120 grit & cleaned.

This preparation should ensure a long life for the wings. My last Seven is still going strong 18 years later with the same wings, same careful preparation & Tiger adhesive.............

I wouldn't. One of the points of attachment has already failed. I'd strip down the other to be sure that the preparation (as above) and fixing were done properly.

There's a vast amount on this in the archives, both with methods that only use adhesive and those that use mechanical fasteners. I suspect that failures when only adhesive was used are more likely to have been caused by poor preparation rather than the wrong adhesive. And I prefer a sausage roll to humpback bridges or a sandwich. NB If you choose "Sikaflex"  there are a lot of different Sikaflex adhesives (and sealants!).

Jonathan

• Area Representative

I would strongly advise totally 'unsticking' the wing as the remaining attached point would have been under some stress & therefore the bond could have been weakened.

Starting afresh guarantees that the wing will remain in place!

JK - You are 100% correct - good preparation is as important as the finished article.