Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat and harmess

jackb_ms

• Area Representative

Jack

5 or 6 point depends upon the fixings available.

You could bring the crotch strap up between back of seat and squab cushion but I don't know how this affects the fit and comfort.  Also the outside edges of hte webbing might rub on the frame of the seat (although bringing the crotch straps through the aperture means they rub on the seat limiting the life of any belt set).

Yes it it.  The crotch belt passes ontop of the base cushion (ie you sit on the strap).  Then up through your nether regions to plug into the release buckle. I ran this for many year until I fitted a Tillet with a hole in it.  You can do it with separate crotch straps (ie 6 point) or a combined crotch strap (5 point). 

I have Titon 6 point with leather seats(two straps terminate on one buckle) Also made a bar that fits between the two bulkhead tabs that the belts fits around.

The other option is crutch belts with loops on the end which fit over the two side straps rather than clipping into the buckle. I’ve read these better route the straps either side of your crown jewels.

This is an interesting read - dont click on the link if squeamish or eating your tea!!

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82326920.pdf 

Ian

Ive used the 5 point with a large T-bar and currently have the 6 point with long straps that go through metal loops on the harness.  I much prefer the latter - its a bit more expensive from CC, is a bit more faffy to fasten, but its a bit more comfortaable and more secure.  This one, or one like it at least: https://caterhamparts.co.uk/seatbelts-harnesses/239-seat-belt-6-point-race-svcsr.html

• Area Representative

I would avoid any 6 or 5 point harness that uses a single fixing into the bottom of the main buckle.

I suffered a significant forward impact a few years ago wearing a Caterham supplied Luke 6 point harness, where the two crotch straps joined into a single tang that was plugged into the main buckle. I suffered significant bruising...  *yikes*

I now use Schroth belts similar to those that Tom links to, where the individual crotch straps are pulled tight into each side of the groin rather than straight across your tackle.

At the time I ordered my Schroth harnesses (early 2013), they were generally only available from MSAR in London, but I actually purchased from DemonTweeks who were able to order the same spec directly from Schroth. 

Steve

How did you do that?

Is that a bespoke design from Oxted?

I have been looking a the the Willians harness and it seems a combination of the Silverstone LDT6 Caterham - and the Club 6 x 6 Saloon - may do the trick

I'll see if I can pop round on Friday as they are not too far from me.

Jack

Jack,

It isn’t my idea but I did it myself. It wasn’t difficult but obviously needs doing with care (I waited for a day when everyone had gone out!). I originally had the belts sat on top of the seat but it didn’t feel right to me. Let me know if you want more info as I took photos as I went along and might still have details of the plastic insert I used.

Steve