Click here if you are having website access problems ×

top link ball joint

andydavy

Trying to replace my front wing stays but i cant remove the nut holding the top link ball joint to the stay. It goes so far and then the ball joint stud thing just spins round. How do I stop it spinning to do the nut up or undo. It doesnt have an allen key slot on the bottom of ball joint stud!!

balljoint.thumb.JPG.99b6112b55fd55c2dc3df88075b5bdb4.JPG

You may have the same problem when doing them back up - once the nylon starts to bite it can cause it to spin. I keep an old nut with the nylon removed for doing up tight enough for the taper to engage and then spin it off and fit the nyloc.

I keep an old nut with the nylon removed for doing up tight enough for the taper to engage and then spin it off and fit the nyloc.

Good tip, and one that's included in the Assembly Guide.  For info, the nut is M14x1.5. 

Personally, I would fit a new nyloc.  Tighten to 54Nm (according to the old AG) or 61Nm (according to the IKEA-style new one).

JV

Caterham parts do a Seven specific ball joint splitter for your application, it costs about £70 however.  For kit assembly they provide a plain M14 nut to draw the ball joint into its seat and then swap for a nyloc torqued to 54Nm.