Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure Gauge - Change to Mechanical Advice, Parts List and Result

brianjhall31

With the electric-to-mechanical oil pressure conversion (Duratec) I’m having trouble replacing the electric oil pressure sender into the oil filter / modine mount, with the steel adapter (to take the hose).

The thread (I think) is supposed to be 1/4” NPT. 

The electric sender (Variohm EPT2100 94245002) seems like a perfect fit (it can be hand-tightened up to about 3-4 threads in then smooth/gradual spanner tighten. 

Whereas the adapter (an MMS 10-3-4, from Think Automotive) cannot be hand tightened in at all, and only embeds about 2 threads in before becoming very tight…so I backed-off with spanner.

At the ‘starting thread’ the outside diameter of the electric sender thread is 13.04mm.

The adapter starts at 13.29mm diameter. 

The thread pitches look identical to me, so I’ve concluded it’s just that small increase in diameter making the adapter an uncomfortably tight fit. 

I’m assuming just 2 threads inserted on the adapter is not enough?

Any suggestions very welcome. Anyone else overcome this? 

Assuming there aren’t different ‘specs’ of 1/4” NPT (?), all I can think of is just trying a different supplier of the adapter at random?

Thanks, Rich 

IMG_2590.thumb.jpeg.befa384ef6ff5cde458e8f3c0b3a9833.jpeg

IMG_2600.thumb.jpeg.cb35edee903b0a53544d2040741c7f0b.jpeg

Edited by Rich Goddard
Corrected NPT size. Fitting point clarified as Modine mount.

@John Vine looking at your photos I’ve realised I have a different set-up. My car has a Modine oil cooler (I’ve edited my post above), whereas it looks like yours connects directly into the filter housing plate.  Maybe the Modine mount isn’t same thread for the sender port. 

Yes, my car has an oil cooler in front of the rad,  with a sandwich plate behind the oil filter for the oil hoses.  The MOPG line connects directly to the oil-filter housing.

I know nothing about Modines, I'm afraid.

JV

49 minutes ago, Rich Goddard said:

Resolved.   Think Auto had sent me the wrong spec adapter first time round.

Don't know what thread it was, but it was very close to the correct 1/4" NPT to fit the sender port in the Modine mount. 

Thanks for the feedback.   For general interest, it would be good to know what the thread was.

JV