Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Circuit of the Baltic.

Manstein

In the process of planning a circuit of the Baltic later in the year. I'm familiar with the German and Polish coasts and the same for Scandinavia as far east as Finland. Just wondering if any members have experience driving in the Baltic states and through the Kaliningrad-Belarus gap? My only 'short cut' will be the ferry between Estonia and Finland.

Hi Chris 

You might try our international network club in Sweden - see link on Sweden in area groups  - they probably have experience of all the countries in that area they could share with you. In fact they have an annual gathering,  I believe September time that you could even make a target. 

They hold this every year and are keen to hold an international gathering there maybe 2020  ......

Wouldn't it be It would be great if the Newcasle - Bergan ferry was still operational ! When we went a couple of years ago - it was Hull Rotterdam - up to Rostock for the ferry to Trelleboug - certainly doable but a bit of a slog ! 

Chris 

I ‘ve been to where that ferry goes from (Finland) and chatted with some Estonians on the ferry to Sweden, they were very firm in saying do not travel alone there. This was about 2010. So I didn’t. 

Itinerary? I don’t like deadlines or time constraints either.

Anthony

Christine,

Thanks for the information I was going to put some feelers out in that direction. Regarding the Newcastle-Bergen ferry I'm in total agreement it would be very useful there's occasional murmurs in the maritime press about its return but nothing as yet.

After my jaunt across the Atlantic and finding my 3 fellow passengers had motor homes onboard for an extended tour of North America starting at Halifax. I've started thinking of using the ACL roro service for a Canadian jaunt possibly in a 7. The 'Atlantic Sea' I traveled on had 7 roro decks and here's a deck cadet mopping one of them!

IMG_0040_0.thumb.JPG.ec65ff52709e279e1700881771e2eef2.JPG

That’s interesting, up to 90 days wandering around in the US (or Canada) in a Seven.

I did a bit of Googling and found this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thecruisepeople.wordpress.com/2018/01/17/atlantic-container-line-announces-new-trans-atlantic-passenger-service-starting-in-march-hamburg-antwerp-liverpool-halifax-new-york-baltimore-and-return/amp/

Suprising my relations in Ca. would be a laugh but a bit of a stretch from NY as it’s ‘only’ 2794 miles (or 41 hours driving Google tells me).

Ash,

The service has been running for many years and about two with the newest G4 ships. I boarded in Liverpool and disembarked in Baltimore after stops in Halifax and Newark. The trip was enlivened somewhat by narrowly missing a shoot out at a Newark shopping mall during the pre Christmas sales.

I knew there were intercontinental ro-ro ships as used by the large manufacturers but for some reason I always envisaged that us ‘average motorist’ types had to stick the car in a shipping container, pray it didn’t fall off the ship enroute creating some metallic growler yachting hazard, travel independently and hopefully collect it intact at the other end.