Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ULEZ London 2021 K-series euro 3 to 4 upgrade possible?

2004Academy80

With the impending expansion of the ULEZ in 2021 to the North & South circular I'm trying to research if it's feasible with a change to the exhaust after treatment to alter the emissions of a Euro 3 K-Series to Euro 4?

I've read that once you improve the emission level you can get a LEC (Low Emissions Certificate) that is valid for a year at a nominal test fee.  Significantly less than the £12.50 daily charge.  I live about 200m within the South circular!

Euro 3 emission limits (petrol)
CO – 2.3 g/km
HC – 0.20 g/km
NOx - 0.15
PM – no limit

Euro 4 emission limits (petrol)
CO – 1.0 g/km
HC – 0.10 g/km
NOx – 0.08
PM – no limit

Dave Andrews or anyone else know if there is any work done on this yet?

Thanks

Alex

• 4 months later...

Upgrading from Euro 3 to Euro 4 is not as straight forward as you could wish. One of the key changes is the warm up cycle, which is why you saw that the catalyst was moved on most Euro 4 cars. Some even have pre-cats bolted to the head with the manifold and then another under the car.

For Euro 4 S3 Caterhams you'll see the catalyst exiting through the sideskin, which you can see this will:

exhaust-manifold-catalyst-sigma-s3.jpg

( https://caterhamparts.co.uk/collectors-catalysts/2810-exhaust-manifold-catalyst-sigma-s3.html?search_query=eu4&results=154 )

In other words, apart from having the car remapped, you'll probably also have to replace your exhaust system.

I can dig further into this, but to be honest I suspect the modifications required could be so expensive that it's be cheaper to trade the car in for something newer.

As there was never a eu4 k series in anything, rover or caterham you will struggle. The caterham eu3 was probably only a confirmation test based on the rover numbers to get it through in Europe.

The current cars aren't even eu compliant for U.K., just the European ones are. Well apart from the 160 that could have been if they had decided not to sell it as an iva car

I think the K-series engine was Euro 4 approved in some sort of Roewe or whatever Chinese stuff, but never in a Caterham.

But... if Caterham can have something approved, then someone else stubbern enough also can. It's just a matter of having the means to do it.

I suspect that you could bring it to EU4 with some considerable effort, but I suspect it would be another huge effort getting your car re-registered as an EU4 as all the cameras appear to be concerned with is your registration number. It would be well worth checking out the administrative burden ahead of the physical work. Assuming you cold get it done it wold be a shame if the powers that be said "computer says no".