Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winch battery

Alan Bowler

What sort of battery is best for winching the 7 onto a trailer? Small cheap car battery? Or would a motorbike battery do it? (I want a separate battery for various reasons)

I assume latest small lithium batterys (as in latest generation of cheap boosters) aren't right for this application, as would drain too quick.

thanks

Beware that a "20Ah" lithium battery is 20Ah equivalent and will only be around 4-5Ah. The CCA will be the same but the 20h capacity much less. A true 80Ah lithium battery will be around £400.

I think I'd use an AGM battery from a car with start-stop. These are leisure batteries with high CCA and your winch drains power like a starter motor.

Thanks for advice. I'll avoid lithium for this. I used a cheapy golf buggy type battery in the 7 for a while, but it never recovered from one too many "crank for pressure" cycles when I was having to swap engines around. No slope on my drive - just a lot of gravel otherwise I could push it into the garage, I think I'll go with 30/40 ah car battery.