Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clear Coating Carbon Fiber

Brightonuk

The best product to be recommended depends on how you intend to use it and what you expect as a result. If you just want to protect an existing cfrp part and take the easiest alternative, I'd use the 1-component TRISTARcolor clear coat which is delivered in a spray can. Very fine distribution of the particles in the air and large spray volume. It's also somehow leveling the surface when it dries and with this correcting a bit mistakes made when applying it, other comparable clear coats I know do not show such a behavior.

High quality results require 2-component applied with a professional spray gun. Those guns are expensive, though. And if you make a mistake, you won't get it off again easily to start from scratch.

Then there are epoxy gel coats which are the most resistant to scratches. Not that easy to apply, though.

I've made good experiences with this: https://shop.hp-textiles.com/shop/en/covering-system-gelcoat-epoxy-resin-hp-e25dm.html . It's low priced and didn't create any troubles. I can't tell about the long-term UV stability, though. The resulting products haven't been exposed to extreme UV conditions over long periods of time yet.

Peter

• Leadership Team

Steve, any CF parts that you clear coat will be more easily damaged by stone chips than the original non-coated CF panels, it is therefore wise to limit the clear coat application only to areas that will not sustain damage. Cycle wings should be fine, but if you have the nose cone (or just a front band) clear coated it would be wise to add paint protection film to reduce the stone chips. Rear wings are only worth doing if again you're going to use enough paint protection film to cover the forward facing surfaces and round the outer edge. Think of it basically as clear paint.

Stu.

It was just the dash, but CC no longer makes one for my car, the three indicator lights between the rev counter and spoedo will not fit so I guess I will need to reposition them elsewhere or look to a alternate supplier, the issue with that option that is I had a bad experience with Carbon wings from KCD. The quality/finish was not really up to scratch, and being states side Its not like I can return them.

I want the dash finished like the CC one not dull and needing  polishing and coating apparently that is a 2x2 (twill) weave

Westermann make one that has a great looking finish but way expensive if you want cutouts

UC Has mine but the finish looks dull and unfinished  

• Leadership Team

Steve, do you already have a CF dash? Is the condition poor?

The later cars have the 3 lights located within the rev counter enabling the rev counter and speedometer to be positioned slightly closer together to give a better view of the gauges through the steering wheel. Also the radius at the bottom edge of the dash differs on later cars so would not fit.

I'm pretty sure all the Caterham dashboards are 2x2 twill weave but the current versions have the carbon fabric laid up on the bias giving the "vertical lines" appearance.

Stu.

For a dash, which I assume you will be doing at home, stick with the Premium Finish instruction in the Tech Bulletin which Anthony provided the link for, and apply multiple layers as directed. If you don't have access to a large enough oven the Product Data sheets will tell you how long to leave between coats. Lay the dash flat for spraying and keep dust to a minimum.  You will achieve a finish that will be as good as anything on a Bentley.  As you have observed the process is labour intensive, which is why Class A surface clearcoated CF parts are expensive.

An off the wall thought........................

If you are only wanting to recover the appearance of your dash without a lot of hassle, what about removing the instruments etc. prepping and applying a layer of clear stone chip resistant film as a gloss finish to the dash?  I am conscious that the original finish, plus the temperature and humidity cycles in your part of the world may undermine this as a durable durable solution, but you could try fitting a couple of small test pieces to the in-situ dash to validate.

So the result 

I could not source the Glasurit that Jim suggested but found this alternative that requires a hardener (which is in the can but has to be activated)

MaxCan.thumb.jpg.8b3ad007b5918403af353d760abf74d2.jpg  

I was originally going to try to mask the dials and switches but ended up removing everything and sanding the dash with 1000 grit wet n dry

After 18 years there was not much lacquer left on the dash so I did not need to be too aggressive 

Here is before: 

DashPreSpray1.thumb.jpg.500f4be4c52b576608624ec78790bda8.jpg

Sanded  

DashPreSpray5.thumb.jpg.baef93b6f03a20bc1188bbaae6be32b9.jpg  

Taped and ready

DashPreSprayPrep5.thumb.jpg.bb27a694756a4c4506b01fdfa4e995f4.jpg

I gave it three coats and of course due to my inexperience went too heavy on the first causing runs in a couple of places 

not terrible but would not pass a Ford QC.

Another step I did not do due to my impatiences to finish the job was to sand between coats I think it would have provided a much better finish.

Anyway here is the result not perfect but an improvement over the original

DashPostReSpray2.thumb.jpg.d5bf13ed861655535e1dc06f7cb58ba3.jpg

DashPostReSpray4.thumb.jpg.f869fa5a5c141bffe0baa00b67d9b78e.jpg DashPostReSpray7.thumb.jpg.cb89c1b1439a08e945d088406f8b3882.jpg

I also did some test sprays on the tip of the nose which was in a terrible state (see the previous post on "a crap respray" for the full SP)

Before 

NoseConeSide_0.thumb.jpg.256b44ec7f8408d277a88162d7861b15.jpg

Here it is after one coat.

I will take more time over this job as I also need to lacquer the new KCD cycle wings that look unfinished and the dash was a learning process 

NoseConePostRespray1.thumb.jpg.ab575d3fc0016e7cd9d226c38be04931.jpg

Bottom line this was a cost effective way to bring back tired looking CF not perfect but well worth the effort and I think with what I learned from the dash re spray the wings and nose will have a better result. 

Frosts in the UK do a 2K aerosol by Eastman.  It should be comparable in properties.  If it doesn't say so on the can, it is best to wear a protective mask when using these products as they contain isocyanates which have a cumulative and lasting effect on the lining of lungs

That's the one Tom.  I still think it would be interesting to see if a dash can get it's appearance back by applying a layer of stone chip clear gloss film.  Unfortunately I don't have a CF dash to try applying a sample to see if it works.