Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Introducing and clutch problems

paisesmediterraneos

Hello, first of all, I want to introduce myself, I am David from Granada (south of Spain), I was looking for a Caterham in the last years and finally I am the happy owner of one, last month I bought a 2003 1.6 K Roadsport with 16.700 miles.

When I depress the clutch I feel it´s very hard; also when I am driving and engage a gear, at the moment of  move up the foot from the clutch pedal I feel a "clonk"; and finally when the car is warm and at neutral I can hear noise from the clutch bearing that disappear when I depress the clutch pedal.

Because all of these things I think I must replace the whole clutch kit, but here Spain we don´t have Caterham dealer and when I will bring the car to a mechanic to change the clutch, for sure it will be the first time in his life that he will see and work in a Caterham. Must I tell to the mechanic some special advise about changing the clutch for him not to damage my Caterham??, or it´s an "easy" job that any general mechanic can do.

Of course I will buy at UK the spares and I will bring them to the mechanic. I found the Helix kit with cover, plate and bearing for selling at some UK webs.

Thank you very much, best wishes from the warm south of Spain.

• Area Representative

The noise you hear in neutral that disappears when you press the clutch is the gearbox layshaft. It is nothing to worry about. They all do it especially if you have a lightened flywheel. 

Take the cover off the pedal box and check that the cable runs straight from the top of the pedal arm to the hole at the front of the box. If there is too much of the outer cable adjusting thread inside the box it may be forcing the inner cable to make a sharp turn. If this is so .. move the outer cable towards the front of the car to reduce the bend on the cable inside the box.

When I depress the clutch I feel it´s very hard; also when I am driving and engage a gear, at the moment of  move up the foot from the clutch pedal I feel a "clonk"; and finally when the car is warm and at neutral I can hear noise from the clutch bearing that disappear when I depress the clutch pedal.

First of all, welcome! You live in a beautiful city, and in a spectacular part of Spain.  Lucky man!

If the CRB (clutch release bearing) is failing, you're more likely to hear noises (squealing, typically) when you depress the clutch.  I'm inclined to agree that the noise you can hear in neutral is the gearbox layshaft.  This is entirely normal, and should disappear as soon as you apply gentle pressure to the clutch pedal.

Follow SM25T's advice re checking and setting the cable adjuster in the pedal box.  The Assembly Guide (with luck, the one you have from JK) says:

36 The clutch cable is fitted with adjusters at both ends so that it can be adjusted at both the bell-housing and pedal box. Set the pedal box end so that a minimum length of outer cable protrudes past the locating bush into the pedal box then adjust at the bell-housing end until a satisfactory clutch pedal position is achieved (4 threads showing through the yellow bush is a good starting point). The clutch 'bite' point should be set according to personal preference ensuring that it is not adjusted so as to prevent the clutch from fully engaging or disengaging.

Try removing the clutch cable altogether and check that the inner operates smoothly.  If it's stiff or rough, it's likely that some of the cable strands are broken.

Also, at the bellhousing, detach the clutch cable and check that the clutch fork moves freely.

Once everything is operating smoothly, consider setting up extra springs in the pedal box to increase the CRB pre-load. (The article JK mentions explains how to do this.)

Good luck!

JV

I downloaded from the club web the assembly guide of the Caterham kit.

Just to point out that the current Assembly Guide won't apply to your car.  If you send your email address to Jonathan Kay via the "Send author a message" link, he'll be sure to send you the right Guide.

JV

which CRA Clutch Release Arm does this car have? The compliant sounds uncomfortably familiar, but maybe that's just the effects of trauma (on me).

In other words please confirm the car does NOT Have the integral dry sump tower. Anyone know as I guess our new man (welcome David!) may not.

Also I can confirm from very recent (last week) experience that :

Consider buying the parts from Redline Components. Contact Chris Mintoft. Phone +44 1883 346515. Email sales@redlinecomponents.co.uk

can ship overseas no problem and quickly, at very reasonable prices AND the right parts - I too am overseas.

Anthony