Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Here comes a daft question......

mossy7

I apologise for this question. My excuse is I bought my 7 to drive and now I want to learn a bit more about working on it.

I know some of you guys who know one end of a spanner from another can do this with your eyes closed, but for a mere mortal like me it's practically rocket science: so.... how do I work out what size a bolt is? I've taken it out per se and want to replace it with a better quality/ lighter version in a non critical area. What size do I buy? Can I measure it with vernier calipers? If so where? Head? Thread? Is there an easier way? I note such measurements as M4 M6 etc.... but help!? ( sorry.. I  am not very mechanically minded. ) 

thanks.

You have a lot of choices, including:

1. Fit it to a nut of known size.
  2. Align it to a bolt of known size.
  3. Measure the shank.
  4. Measure the head and use a table on the Web that links that to the size.
  5. Check the Assembly Guide.
  6. Check Shaun's bolt list.
  7. Check the fastener packs.
  8. Use BlatChat.

The easiest way to measure sizes is with a pair of callipers. Lots of people seem to be using the same cheap digital callipers that are available through a lot of vendors.

A combination of those methods can be pursued with a smartphone app: I like Bolt & Nut.

Beware the multiple different standards used on Sevens: Imperial coarse and fine, metric etc. 5, 6, 7 and 8 can help a lot with that. "M4", "M6" etc are metric sizes.

Jonathan

My last order from Pro-Bolt for my 360R was for Air Filter, Pedal box cover and Plug cover,   I reduced the length of the air box screws a little, and increased the length of a few of the pedal box cover screws to make it easier to fit.   There are a few spares in the this list. 

ALUMINIUM DOME HEAD BOLT M5 X (0.8MM) X 20MM PK X 5 (for Pedel Box cover)

ALUMINIUM DOME HEAD BOLT M5 X (0.8MM) X 12MM PACK X 5  (for Pedal Box cover)

ALUMINIUM DOME HEAD BOLT M5 (0.8MM) X 25MM PK X 10  (for Air Filter) 

ALUMINIUM DOME HEAD BOLT M6 X (1.00MM) X 16MM PACK X 5.  (for Plug Cover)

Hope this helps