Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 Roadsport - do I have an engine failure - NO IT WAS A PERISHED ECU HOSE

Lambretta

Hi all

Took the car out for a few short runs yesterday, no problem. 

Start the car yesterday evening and engine barley able to idle and strong smelling black smoke coming from exhaust. Took it to the shops today and again was all I could do to keep engine running. 

Now the only thing I have done since it ran well was fit a battery master switch but I fail to see how that would account for the smoke.

Anyone able to submit a few possibilities for what it could be? Sounds pretty disastrous to me  

Many thanks in advance

Roger

Update: Yes I discovered the hose that wasn’t going anywhere was supposed to go somewhere!

The obvious thing is to look for something wrong or missing relating to the work you have done. Is it a simple two terminal switch breaking the live or ground connection to the battery ... or an FIA switch with other terminals. LooK for missing earth connection or a disconnected sensor ?

Black smoke sounds like unburnt fuel and would account for rough running. When the battery master switch was changed, have any sensors been inadvertently left without power? White smoke (water in combustion chamber) or blue smoke (oil) would be more worrying I would say? Sounds like the mapping has gone squiffy? Is it running on 4 cylinders but just really lumpy?

Black smoke sounds like unburnt fuel and would account for rough running. When the battery master switch was changed, have any sensors been inadvertently left without power? White smoke (water in combustion chamber) or blue smoke (oil) would be more worrying I would say? Sounds like the mapping has gone squiffy? Is it running on 4 cylinders but just really lumpy?

The obvious thing is to look for something wrong or missing relating to the work you have done.

Agreed.

Has it ever run properly since you fitted the battery master switch?

When did you last refuel it, and what did you put in? Could that fit the time course of the problem?

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies. Currently the switch is just a simple break in the +ve. It’s the Caterham part. I plan to add the extra wires to protect against switch off when running but was keen to test what I had done first.

I think it is running on 4 cylinders but you can hear the revs going slightly up and down on a 4 second cycle. 

What it doesn’t like is accelerating. It splutters while accelerating and then nearly dies when you take the foot off. 

To be honest not so sure what colour the smoke is now. It happens when accelerating.   

I did change the red cable going to the starter solenoid so there is a chance I disturbed something. As a precaution I removed all cable ties on that run and replaced them. 

And Jonathan, I filled it up Friday with Shell premium unleaded. It was 1/3 full at that point of quite ordinary unleaded. 

I have looked reasonably closely at the wiring run. It did worry me that there were a few connectors joining some quite thin wires but they look intact. If I knew where they went I could test for continuity. It needs a good block of time to do it justice. 

Thanks for posting the location Revilla. I will take a look on Tuesday. 

As far as I know (and hope) you can’t get a diesel pump in a Caterham aluminium fuel cap. 

It can’t be coincidence that this happened after I worked on the wiring? Maybe me tie wrap gun was set too high and damaged a wire somewhere?

i will report back!

No I believe I declined one. I am reasonably sure it was unleaded because I was surprised that super unleaded was absent from the V Power fuel. I did a good 80 miles after filling up, including being stuck on the M25 for a lifetime.