Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma will not start? NOW SORTED THANKS - SCHOOL BOY ERROR

Garth

Alan and Graeme very kindly helped me put my engine back together and into the car today - fluids in and all looking good until we tried to start her. Engine turning over well but dead. Any advice on how to start identifying the problem would be much appreciated.

Engine has been upgraded - is on throttle bodies with an Omex ECU and was running fine before we took it out!. Had it out to refurbish the gearbox. Also had the cambelt changed by Premier Power while the engine was out. 

Potential problems with the electrics could be a dodgy connection to the top of the alternator? There is a push on connector (similar to the connectors on the fuel injectors) which appears to only have one pin which was quite badly corroded - not sure what it does?

When we took the engine out for the second time because of fitting the incorrect slave cylinder I forgot to disconnect the cable to the crank position sensor - we noticed while removing the engine, but could have pulled on it quite hard - it all looks ok, but not sure how to test it? 

Before we gave up we pulled out a spark plug - it was dry but there was no spark when we turned the engine over with the plug connected to the HT lead sitting on the cam cover.

Exhaust is nice and shiny, but I am now clueless!

Check ECU fuse.

Can you hear the fuel pump running? If you can't then check fuel pump fuse.

Immobiliser off?

Inertia switch reset?

Do you have a master or isolator switch of any kind?

Potential problems with the electrics could be a dodgy connection to the top of the alternator? There is a push on connector (similar to the connectors on the fuel injectors) which appears to only have one pin which was quite badly corroded - not sure what it does?

Do you know what type of alternator? What colour is the wire connected to that pin? Does the warning light come on with the key?

Engine turning over well but dead.

Doesn't sound like a battery fault but what's the voltage at rest and minimum during cranking?

Before we gave up we pulled out a spark plug...

Check that leads are connected to the correct cylinder.

Do you have the appropriate wiring diagram? Please let me know if you'd like it.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan - thanks for the response.

Forgot to say we could hear a 'whirring' at the rear which I have always assumed is the pump priming - so think that is ok?

I did try and push in the inertia switch but it felt as though it was already down.

Immobilizer bypassed ages ago!

Alternator is standard Sigma (2010) not sure what type - can check the cable colour

We did not change any of the spark plug leads etc., so they are all ok!

Be grateful for the wiring diagram thanks.

Steve - got your message thanks but could not respond by personal mail (as your mail box is full?) I think you were referring to the inertia switch which I did try thanks.

Hi Garth,

Sounds like either the wires to the crank sensor have got damaged or an earth has been left off.  If the ECU doesn't see a crank signal then the ECU won't know when to spark or fuel.  If there is a rubber boot on the back of the connector, pull it back with a small screw driver and check the condition of the wires going into the rear of the plug.  Also look in the opposite side of the plug and make sure you can see metal contacts right near the edge of the plastic plug. 

Alternator only runs one pin not two in that connector.  Put some grease on the pin in the alternator to try and reduce any further corrosion.  This won't stop the engine starting. 

Good luck.

Regards

SKC

Will check that thanks - wonder if I might have broken the wire(s) leading to the crank sensor connector by 'stretching' them while they were still connected to the engine when we were pulling it out. How would I check their integrity/continuity?

• Area Representative
If it is cranking well (rapud turnover), it isn't a battery issue.

It could remain an ECU issue; I only know about Emeralds where you get a visual indication of status (mine had to go back to Dave Walker for water ingress - probably condensation). Should you get different LED indicators so thst you know if the ECU is seeing a signal to fire?

Have you turned the engine over with plugs out to expel unburnt fuel?

Have you taken the plugs out and got them red hot with a blow-torch?

Thanks for all the help guys - rather embarrassingly it was 'human error' and a simple fix! - my ECU has its own fused connection run directly off the battery - I discovered this had not been re-connected when I was checking all the fuses and connections this morning. Two minutes later she started first time!!